Sunday, July 26, 2020

Gone, Lost & Forgotten: Their Best = Blue Mountain Community College

Located in the northeast section of Oregon in the community of Pendleton, Blue Mountain Community College is known as the Timberwolves. 

Cecil Zerba
145 lbs 


Ever had Zerba Cellars Wine?  If so, you're drinking wine made by a former wrestler.  Zerba was an NJCAA All American for the Timberwolves in 1968 with a sixth place finish. 



Eddie Wells
137 lbs  


Without a doubt the best wrestler to ever come out of Blue Mountain was two time NJCAA champion Eddie Wells who won titles in 1968 & 1969.  He then transferred to Arizona State where he finished 2nd in the WAC.  He later joined the Tempe Police Department & wrestled there. 


Big thanks to Ed Wells for some additions to this post! 

1968 Squad 

1969 Squad 

1968-69' Media Guide 











8 comments:

  1. Thank you for putting the information about Blue Mountain wrestling out there.Cecil Zerba was one of my wrestling partners at Blue Mountain. He pushed me during practice and we had a real small workout room in the basement of the National Guard building. Cecil and I were at the same weight 137 pounds. We had to wrestle off for the National Junior College wrestling tournament. Cecil was my toughest opponent of that year. I won and went to nationals at 137 pounds and won. I repeated the next year at the same weight and won. After Blue Mountain I got a wrestling scholarship at Arizona State University. Shoulder separation put me out of action my first year. My senior year I got second in the WAC conference. I was declared not eligible for the NCAA tournament because had not sent in my injury red shirt application to them. After college I joined the Tempe Police Department and wrestled in the Police State Olympics.I have also wrestled in the National Police Olympics winning titles in Jacksonville, New York,Texas, Arizona, and Ohio. Thank you again for mentioning Cecil and me. Eddie Wells

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have any photographs I'd be more than happy to add them.

      Thanks for the bonus information I appreciate it

      Delete
    2. I am trying to send some photos

      Delete
    3. Trying to send you some photos.file:///home/chronos/u-accb7d139547bfb904599d34e32faf6dfd437081/MyFiles/Camera/1968%20Cecil%20Zerba%206th%20Place%20&%20Eddie%20Wells%201st%20Place%20NJCAA%20Wrestling%20Tournament.JPG

      Delete
    4. Send them to StephenStonebraker@gmail.com

      Delete
    5. Added some of the photos you sent me. Thanks for the added information. These are so much more fun to look over with photographs. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Looking for the 1968 Blue Mountain Community College 168 lb Champion Wrestling Champion picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Picture of the 1968 Wrestling Team Champions from Blue Mountain Community College Oregon

    ReplyDelete