I'm looking at this to be a good year for the Riverhawks of Umpqua. Five NJCAA qualifiers from the 2026 season & Coach Chris McCoy returns four of them.
| 133 Carson Cummins |
While there was collegiate wrestling in the state of Alaska during my lifetime with NAIA powerhouse Alaska-Pacific, I doubt we ever see it again. Talents like Carson Cummins are always going to have to find homes outside of their native lands in order to compete. Thankfully Umpqua provides that home for the Anchorage rep. Cummins was 3rd in last year's West District.
| 141 Cael Sanders |
The California native was 5th at last year's West District championships. If I'm still covering collegiate wrestling 20-25 years from now, I wonder if one day I might be writing about Cael Sander's son. I'm no Greg Warren, but I didn't think that was half bad.
| 184 Matteo Monteiro Furtado Tresse |
It's not Russia & it's not Japan, but France has won a respectable amount of medals in both Olympic & World wrestling. We have legends like Daniel Robin, who won medals in both Freestyle & Greco, at the same Olympics! We also have Steeve Grenot, Gold in 2008, bronze in 2012. Yet out of our French superstars, I cannot recall any of them wrestling collegiately here in the United States. Tresse, who earned NJCAA All-American honors of 8th last season is the first French wrestler I believe I've ever written about. He was also a runner-up at the West District.
| 197 Hunter Langham |
The Oregon High School state-runner up saw his first NJCAA tournament last season, with a 4th place finish at the West District. Might again by 197, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he goes HWT this year either.
No comments:
Post a Comment