I've talked about this a lot over the decades I've been covering collegiate wrestling. Sometimes in order to get the ball going, you need a star. I know not everyone likes me making WWE and/or Hollywood references, but both can help to illustrate a point. Vince McMahon knew he needed a name in the 80's & Hulk Hogan led him to one of the biggest booms in the history of professional wrestling. Years later, he knew he needed to do it again & that's when he once again rediscovered the magic with Stone Cold Steve Austin.
That's what Coach Tom Carr needs at Oklahoma Wesleyan, a star. The first to earn the All-American honors, and get the ball rolling for the Eagles. That someone is already on the team. Before we get to him....
Let me say that I'm sad to be seeing Donte Lopez out of eligibility. A KCAC runner-up last year, I thought it was complete hogwash that he didn't receive a wildcard entry into the NAIA national tournament. I feel he wrestled well enough to be top 32, but I guess others didn't.
Now let's talk potential....
| 184 Peyton Callis |
This dude is only a sophomore & he's already impressed me a number of times last season as a freshman. I know Tom Carr is itching to put someone on the NAIA award stand this year, crown another KCAC champ & I think Callis has the potential to not only do it in 2027, but do it in 2028 & 2029 too. The opportunity presents itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment