Every now and again I have to sit back and take it all in. Come to the realization of how lucky I am as a wrestling fan to live in the state of Iowa. So much great wrestling all over the state and at every level. I said this about Indian Hills, I often say it about St Ambrose & I'm saying it about Grand View. What's happening on the mat, what's happening in the classroom, what's happening off the mat. You look at a place like Grand View & you realize all that is right with the sport of wrestling is being displayed by who these young men are on the mat & more importantly, who they are off of it. It's often said, & for good reason, that power corrupts. That success often goes to one's head, causing obtuse arrogance. I can't think of many other teams that have more a right to strut their stuff, yet I've never seen that out of any Viking I've come across. Now they are confident, but they're also humble, gracious & never forget where they come from. If they were NCAA DI, they'd be the most popular team in the country. Hell bent to bring attention to NAIA wrestling, don't think for a minute JT1Wrestle will ever let up on trying to bring attention to what this program is all about.
Now, I've said for nearly two decades now that I wonder if Grand View doesn't have a secret room where like in the TERMINATOR films they are creating T-1,000's by the dozens. The mission isn't to try and kill John Connor, but instead to win NAIA national titles! I could literally write a novel on the immense amount of talent that has competed for Vikings over the years. While they have a ton of talent coming back, we say goodbye to some really tough, talented young men.
Heart of America (HOA) champion Marckis Brandford who was also one match shy of being an All-American.
Bryce Boumans, 6th in the NAIA nation, an HOA champion & 3rd at RENO.
Easton Larson, 4th in the NAIA nation, 2nd in the HOA & a two-time 3rd place-winner at the Missouri Valley Invitational.
Cam Robinson 1st & 2nd in the NAIA nation, a two-time HOA champion & a two-time RENO champion.
Kris Ketchum, 2nd & 1st in the NAIA nation, 2nd in the HOA, & 4th at RENO (He will be joining the coaching staff this year)
GK, 2nd-1st-1st in the NAIA nation, 3rd-1st-1st in the HOA, 3rd-1st at RENO
Tom Even, a Missouri Valley Invitational runner-up
Danari Heard, 3rd at RENO
| 125 Elijah Cater |
I tell you what, I'm 235 lbs. I bench 405 lbs, I military press 275 lbs, & I can straight curl 150 lbs twice. Still, I would NOT want to step on the mat with this dude. Tough, mean, quick, Elijah Cater captured 3rd place at the NAIA national tournament last season. 2nd in the HOA.
| 133 Gabe Gonzalez |
I knew for a fact that once Aden Reeves went from teammate to coach that it would have a dramatically positive effect on Gabe Gonzalez. I was right. Gold at the NAIA national tournament, gold at HOA & gold at RENO!
| 141 Reese Courtney |
It's funny to say this, considering all that Reese Courtney did accomplish, but still, had it not been for injuries, I think he could have done even more last season. A Missouri Valley Invitational champion last season, he was 2nd at the HOA.
| 165 Dylan Whitt |
My heart really broke for Dylan Whitt last season. I know he did not have the '25-'26 that he wanted to have. 1st-3rd-2nd at the Missouri Valley Invitational, he came up short of placing at the tournament last season. 5th at the NAIA's in 2025, he came up short of his second All-American honor. An HOA champion in 2025, he was 2nd in 2026. Vikings are known for coming in pillaging and conquering. If you read me enough, you already know I'm a fan of redemption stories. May 2027 bring one of Whitt.
| HWT Shane Cook |
Sometimes you see guys that absolutely defy physics & Shane Cook is one of them. I have no idea how a guy so big, can be so quick & furthermore have the gas tank that he has. Nonetheless, we're probably looking at a four-time All-American, one that will win some national titles. An HOA champion last season, he was 5th in the NAIA nation.
| 125 Kaden Weber |
Only 12 spots come the post season, & I can see Kaden Weber being one of them. One match shy of a top 8 showing at Missouri Valley Invitational last season.
| 174 Micah Roper |
What I said about Gabe Gonzalez & Aden Reeves concerning 133? Let me now say that about Kris Ketchum & Micah Roper. I expect big things out of Ketchum as a coach & I think we'll immediately see that this season in Micah Roper. Roper was 7th at the Missouri Valley Invitational.
| HWT Dmarian Lopez |
The San Diego, California native impressed the heck out of me when he was in the NJCAA competing for Western Wyoming & I know he'll continue to impress me in the NAIA competing for GVU. Heck, he already has. 3rd at last year's Missouri Valley Invitational.
No comments:
Post a Comment