Monday, September 9, 2019

Gone, Lost & Forgotten: NEIWA Team Titles Won By Schools That No Longer Have Wrestling

I really have no idea when the first NEIWA (New England Intercollegiate Wrestling Association) tournament was held.  I believe like the EIWA tournament it may be older than the NCAA tournament itself.  I found an article once stating that Harvard was going to hold the conference wrestling championships in 1924, which makes me think that it may have been the NEIWA tournament as the 1924 EIWA tournament was held at Yale.  I've found Harvard participating in other NEIWA championships as well.

Some years the NEIWA championship was split into two divisions.  A University Division and a College Division.  Today there is a New England Wrestling Association, which consist of 10 Division III teams.  I don't know for sure but I would wager to say that it is the same as the NEIWA College Division as Springfield, Wesleyan, Williams, Worcester & U.S. Coast Guard who were all apart of the NEIWA are now a part of the NEWA.

The NEIWA goes back to 1924 from what I can gather.  When exactly it became (if indeed that is what happened) the NEWA and strictly only involved DIII teams I do not know.


What I have is information from 1928 through 1981.    If you have any other information regarding the conference 1982 onward, please share. I'd love to add it to my collection.


NEIWA Team Titles Won By Schools That No Longer Have Wrestling 

Tufts (2) 1932, 1935

MIT (1) 1947

Massachusetts (2) 1971, 1973

University of Rhode Island (6) 1974, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980

Boston (1) 1975

No comments:

Post a Comment