Tuesday, September 13, 2022

2023 NCAA DI The Season: Illinois

 *NOTE* - I want to make it clear what this is and what this is not.  What this is NOT is an overview of the entire team. What this is, is a who’s who preview of THIS season 2022-2023. Meaning that I am going to talk about the starters who I feel will have an impact THIS year. Those who will win big matches in duals. Those who will earn placings in major tournaments like CKLV, RENO, MIDLANDS, MATMEN INVITE, SOUTHERN SCUFFLE, CONFERENCES & NCAA’s.  In some cases a weight class will have multiple talented wrestlers. I will note that & I will also be making posts later on about the best wrestle-offs to look forward to this season.  Then after that is determined I will make post later into the season of who our best backups are in the nation.

This post will NOT include redshirts. Those who are redshirting this season will be included in a separate post entitled “22’-23’ Best Redshirts.”  



Looks to be a very competitive year for the Fighting Illini as from where I sit right now, I think we're looking at 8 NCAA qualifiers. Gone is four time NCAA qualifier, 2021 All American (5th) Dylan Duncan who despite having a shortened season last year, still had a remarkable career. He was also a three time Midlands place-winner going 5th-6th-4th.  Although Mike Carr technically should have eligibility left in his career, I imagine he's decided to hang up the boots after a career riddled with injuries. A shame, considering how much talent was left on the table. Life can be unfair, as too can be wrestling. D.J. Shannon is also gone, as the 174 lbs'er has transferred to Michigan State. 

125 lbs
Justin Cardani


Justin Cardani goes into his junior season now a two time NCAA qualifier. The highlight of his season last year was winning the Mat Men Open. I would give him an outsider's shot at All American this season. 

133 lbs
Lucas Byrd 

Another Mat Men Open Champ, Lucas Byrd has twice been 5th in the NCAA the past two seasons. While Roman Bravo-Young of Penn State seems to be out of his league, no one else in the BIG 10 is. Dylan Ragusin of Michigan will give him some fits, but he's still very capable of making the BIG 10 finals this season. As to the NCAA, I'd say he'll be one of the top contenders for the bronze medal. 

141 lbs
Danny Pucino 

16-3 overall last season, Sophomore Danny Pucino looks to do good things for the Illini this season as among his victories, Dylan D'Emilio of Ohio State & Frankie Tal Shahar of Northwestern. 

149 lbs
Kevon Davenport 

Back at the right weight class & at a new school, Nebraska transfer Kevon Davenport looks to  do good things for the Illini this year. Among his more notable wins, a fall over South Dakota State's Henry Pohlmeyer & a tech fall 18-3 over Cael Carlson of Minnesota. 

165 lbs
Danny Braunagel 

I kinda felt that after facing an injury at the BIG 10's last season, that Danny Braunagel was given the shaft when he wasn't awarded an at large wildcard selection into the NCAA tournament. Wins over Cael Carlson of Minnesota, Carmen Ferrante of Northwestern, Drew Nicholson of Chattanooga & Bubba Wilson to me should have been enough to get the allocation, but it wasn't.  Nevertheless the two time NCAA qualifier will look for a third qualification this season.  8th at the Mat Men invitational & also a 4th place finish at the Midlands under his belt, I think on a good day he could be an All American. 

174 lbs
Edmond Ruth 

Previews, glimpses & hype....ENOUGH!!! I don't wanna hear about how great this guy is anymore. I don't want small samples here and there. I wanna see it & I wanna see it at the NCAA Division I collegiate level!! Granted yes, we did get to see him win a Mat Men Open title last season. He did have impressive wins over Mason Kauffman of Northern Illinois & Nick Incontrera of Pennsylvania. BUT...I wanna see him against the top dawgs. Lewis, Starocci, Labriola, Lautt, Romero, Smith.  He's been placed among the best in terms of what he can do & what he should do, well enough of can, enough of should...let's see it! 

184 lbs
Dylan Connell 

The BIG 10 qualified 14 of 14 wrestlers to the NCAA championships last season. As far as I know, while I could be wrong, I believe that 9 of those 14 wrestlers are back this season. Dylan Connell is walking into a war zone this year. Can he earn NCAA qualification? I would definitely think so. I wouldn't guarantee it, but I would say the over/under looks good.  He was 25-6 in his redshirt last season. 

197 lbs
Zac Braunagel 

A three time NCAA qualifier, Zac Braunagel came within sudden victory last season of earning his first All American honor. He dropped a 3-1 overtime decision to Jonathan Loew of Cornell in the round of 12. Most impressive, I think was his performance at the BIG 10's when he came back from a first round loss to place 3rd.  Among his other accomplishments, he's been 4th in both the Midlands & the Mat Men Open. 








No comments:

Post a Comment