Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Gone, Lost & Forgotten: Their Best = Rose State

When researching the history of Richland Community College in Texas, one of the first questions that often pops into my head is, "Who did they wrestle?"  I'll get more into that in the future when I cover Richland Community College, but as for now one of the teams they competed against often was Rose State.  Located in Midwest City, Oklahoma the Raiders were often a team that showed up against the Texas programs that few others wanted to travel to, to compete against. 


Everett Gomez 

Gomez is a unique story that in my 28 years involved in wrestling I've never heard until I came across his.   After competing for U.S. Grant High School,  Gomez went to Oklahoma State & wrestled for the Cowboys during the 1970-1971 season.  His high school wrestling coach Virgil Milliron had recently taken a position as head wrestling coach (as well as Tennis coach & athletic director) at Rose State.  Gomez transferred to Rose State & won a NJCAA title in 1972.  He then transferred back to Oklahoma State & wrestled for the Cowboys for two more season. 


No comments:

Post a Comment