Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Gone, Lost & Forgotten: North Texas

 Located in Denton, I'm not 100% positive if Mean Green wrestling belongs in "Gone, Lost & Forgotten" or not. Today they have a competitive club program headed by the legendary Andre Metzger that competes in the NCWA.  I'm not for certain if North Texas wrestling hasn't always been a club program. Yet I think at one point they did field a varsity program that competed in the NCAA. I have no idea when or for how long it lasted.  Maybe someone else can shed some light on the subject. 


Bob Maughan

Maughan started the club program at North Texas in the 1970-1971 season and headed it through the 1982-1983 season.  I believe that sometime in that period, the Mean Green did try varsity wrestling for a short stint. 

Mike McQueen 

McQeen competed for the Mean Green (Eagles at the time) in 1971 & 1972. 





No comments:

Post a Comment