Sunday, November 14, 2021

Ohio State Vs Virginia Tech Preview and Prediction (11-19-2021)

 I'm actually calling for a bit of an upset on this one.  Most of the poles have Ohio State ahead of Virginia Tech by a couple of spots but from where I sit, I think the Hokies win this dual. It'll be extremely close, but I see V.T. with the upset. 




125- Malik Heinselman Vs Sam Latona 

All American Latona wins this matchup of the lightweights, but the fact that Heinselman is an energizer bunny that never stops once he gets going saves him from the major. Should be a high paced match full of plenty of attacks, counters and recounters. 

V.T. - 3 
tOSU - 0 

133 - Dylan Koontz Vs Korbin Myers 

Koontz might be able to keep this to a decision but I doubt it.  Myers is a top 5 wrestler in the nation right now, and he'll exercise his ranking in this matchup.  Looking at a major here. 

V.T. - 7 
tOSU - 0 

141 - Jordan DeCatur/Dylan D'Emilio Vs Sam Hillegas/Collin Gerardi 

Regardless of who starts for who, a combination of any of these competitors will make for an interesting match. Hillegas is the only one currently ranked at the moment, but its far from a stretch of the imagination to think that he could be upset here. At the time, I'll go with the Hokie in a close one as I think the match will most likely be DeCatur Vs Hillegas. 

V.T. - 10 
tOSU - 0 

149 - Sammy Sasso Vs Bryce Andonian 

Sasso is currently the #1 wrestler in the nation. With that said, Andonian himself was a top 12 wrestler last season who could finish a top 8 wrestler this season. Not seeing an upset here, but I do see Andonian keeping himself in this match the whole match.  Sasso will have to earn his points in this one.  

V.T. - 10 
tOSU - 3 

157 - Jashon Hubbard Vs Connor Brady 

I'm going to call an upset on this one.  Even though Brady is an NCAA qualifier and currently ranked, I think Hubbard will be the one at the end of the match to get his hand raised.  Hubbard owns a 5-2 victory over All American Cam Amine of Michigan and a 9-7 decision over MAC runner-up Izzak Olejnik of Northern Illinois. The four time Ohio high school state place winner who never won a state title looks to prove himself in a world full of state champs.  I think he starts this journey on Friday night. 

V.T. - 10 
tOSU - 6

165 - Carson Kharchla Vs Clayton Ulrey 

The Buckeyes could really use a major decision here, but I don't think they're going to get it.  Kharchla should win be a comfortable score, but 8+ points vs Ulrey?  I don't see it.  4-6 points?  Now that I can see. 

V.T. - 10
tOSU - 9 

174 - Ethan Smith Vs Mekhi Lewis 

Now this is the match I want to see. I've been dying to see Lewis tested at 174 lbs and believe you me, Smith will test him. We will get a very good indication of exactly where Lewis is in terms of health, rust and everything in between in this match with Smith. Do I see Smith upsetting Lewis? I'll give it a chance.  What I will say is that Smith is going to make this a better match than some will predict it. I can even see this going into sudden victory.  Predicting Lewis in a close one. 

V.T. - 13 
tOSU - 9 


184 - Rocky Jordan Vs Hunter Bolen 

Of all 10 matches to take place this Friday, this is the only one that has already happened. The last the two met, Bolen scored a decisive 7-3 decision.  History has a way of repeating itself and I see a similar outcome in this one. I will say though that Jordan could tighten the score. 

V.T. - 16 
tOSU - 9 

197 - Gavin Hoffman Vs Andy Smith/Dakota Howard 

Yet another match where the Buckeyes could really use a major decision where I don't think they'll get it.  Smith is just too tough to allow himself to get majored and for that matter so is Howard. On top of it, Hoffman still doesn't look big enough for 197 to me. He looked good against Mark Chaid of North Carolina, but Chaid isn't Smith. I see Hoffman frustrating the heck out of Smith who will try and score, but be unable to as Hoffman wins something like a 3-2, 4-2 match. 

V.T. - 16
tOSU - 12 


HWT - Tate Orndorff Vs Nathan Traxler 

Easily the biggest toss up of the night. This match could go either way.  You have last year's 8th place finisher Vs a guy who fell one match shy of All American status.  The two have never met although Traxler does own three victories over Orndorff's brother Tanner.  Could see a little family vengeance as Orndorff looks to avenge his brother.  A takedown, an escape or a riding time point, this one will be decided by a single course of action.  Going with the Buckeye in a close one. 

V.T. - 16
tOSU - 15 


=== 


That's where I call it, a close one right down to the wire for the Hokies. Even if Virginia Tech doesn't pull off the upset, I think they in the least give Ohio State a scare and keep them occupied right up through the final match.  

No comments:

Post a Comment