Reinstatements are one of my absolute favorite things about collegiate wrestling and I'm always pumped and excited for them. However, I'm extraordinarily excited for this one. I know people who have been working tirelessly ever since the program was discontinued back in 2006, to get it back. It's always a heartache of depression any time a school loses wrestling, but there was something beyond simple devastation when The Rock was stripped of its mats, singlets and headgear. It's like the heart had been torn straight out of the chest, that made up the identity of green & white. This was a wrestling school, in a wrestling area.
Some may not like me saying this, but I'm more concerned with the truth, than I am with being popular. I'm very glad that Slippery Rock wrestling will be at the NCAA Division II level. I think the worst thing to happen to Slippery Rock was when they went NCAA Division I. As the late, legendary Bucky Maughn once said, some schools are designed to be DII & will thrive at DII.
326 dual meet victories. Brought home two NCAA DII team trophies of 2nd & 4th place. Multiple All-American, finalists & national champions. Will we see those days again? I can almost guarantee it.
Very thankful to Athletic Director Roberta Page & her dedication to bring this historic & storied program back. Anxious to see what Jeff Breese has in store for us in season #1!
No comments:
Post a Comment