I call it "Cross Division, Cross Fire." It's whenever teams of one Division take on teams of another Division. DI vs DII, DII vs DIII, NAIA vs DII, NJCAA Vs DIII, you name it, I love it. Last year the University of Wyoming, a competitive ranked DI team traveled to dual Western Wyoming the #2 ranked team in the NJCAA. I think it is exciting, interesting, and intriguing. Something to get hyped up & fired up for.
What I find most interesting is when teams from Canada get in on the action over here in the United States. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any examples of American teams heading up to Canada this season, with exception to Evergreen State, San Francisco State & Pacific which will all be dualing Simon Fraser in their final season of NCAA Division II wrestling.
Which USPORTS teams will be making appearances in American events this season?
Here's what I've been able to find!
| University of Gulph |
The Gryphons of Gulph will be making to appearances in the United States this year. Wrestlers will be sent to compete at both the Adrian Invitational in Michigan, as well as the Baldwin Wallace Invitational in Ohio. Both drives will be about 4 1/2 to 5 hours for the Gryphons.
| Algoma University |
The Thunderbirds will be participating in this year's Battle of the Rockies. A tournament hosted by Providence. I was really shocked by this one, because I don't think this is close at all. However, they do have it on their '26-'27 schedule.
Years ago I did an article on the Hart family in amateur wrestling. Bret, Owen, their Dad Stu & many of the Hart brothers were involved in amateur wrestling before they got involved in professional wrestling. I spoke with Ross & Ross told me that he & Keith, as well as Bret wanted to see Canadian high school & Canadian collegiate wrestling grow. Talked about wanting more events that mixed Canadian and American wrestling together. The way I understand it, this season the Huskies of Saskatoon are going to the Haws Rumble at St. John's & if I'm understanding it correctly, they will be a part of the Mountaineer Duals hosted by Eastern Oregon! Very excited about that.
*********
IF there are more examples of USPORTS teams competing in American events, or if any American colleges are going up to compete in any USPORTS wrestling events, please let me know! I think this is one of the coolest, yet ignored & not explored enough areas of college wrestling.
No comments:
Post a Comment