Sunday, September 12, 2021

2022: The Preseason: Purdue Boilermakers

 If you follow me, you'll notice within a hurry that I'm big on in-season tournaments and giving them greater focus.  A team like Purdue is exactly why.  It's not that I don't think Purdue will do well in the post-season, because I believe they will.  In fact I see 8 qualifiers, 3 possible All Americans and 1 that could even be an NCAA finalist.  With that said, where I think the Boilermakers will really shine, with multiple place-winners is at Cliff Keen Las Vegas and the Midlands. 

125 
Devin Schroder
Senior
Record: 95-35
NCAA: 19'NQ, 20'NQ, 21'R12
BIG 10: 19'8th, 20'2nd, 21'2nd
MIDLANDS: 18'8th
CKLV: 19'8th, 20'2nd 

Schroder has defied the odds twice thus far and made the BIG 10 finals. Not only do I think he can make his third BIG 10 final this season, I also believe that he can make his first NCAA final.  Vs 2021 NCAA finalist Brandon Courtney of Arizona State, Schroder is 2-0 and both victories rather decisive.  He defeated the Sun Devil 10-2 major decision and he pinned him at 6:03 into the third period.  My only real concern with Schroder as far as predictability is concerned is Princeton's Patrick Glory who defeated Schroder 9-0 the last time they met. However, as proven against Michigan State's Rayvon Foley, Schroder has an ability to turn ugly losses into wins. Foley defeated him 10-4 during the season last year, but Schroder avenged that loss 2-1 at the BIG 10's. 

133
Jake Rundell
Freshman
Record: 8-9
NCAA: 21'NQ
BIG 10: 21'6th 

An NCAA qualifier for the Boilermakers last season, Rundell will qualify again this season. 

141
Parker Filius
Junior
Record: 51-46
NCAA: 20'NQ, 21'NQ
BIG 10: 20'8th, 21'5th
MIDLANDS: 20'R12 

As of right now Filius strikes me as a top 12-16 wrestler. He has wins that prove he can be better such as an 11-7 decision over 5th place All American Dylan Duncan of Illinois. He'll need more wins like that to receive a decent seed at both BIG 10's and NCAA's. 

157
Kendall Coleman
Sophomore
Record: 52-16
NCAA: 20'NQ, 21'NQ
BIG 10: 20'2nd, 21'5th
MIDLANDS: 20'4th
CKLV: 20'4th 

I think that Coleman has an ability to be an NCAA All American for the Boilermakers this season.  Wins such as an 8-6 sudden victory over Jared Franek of North Dakota State & a 3-1 sudden victory over Michigan's Will Lewan backup my claim. Not only that but in many of his losses to those ranked above him, his opponents are barely squeaking by.  Lost nailbiters to both Brayton Lee of Minnesota and Kaleb Young of Iowa.  If he can turn those 1 point losses into wins, that will propel him to the next level. 

165
Gerrit Nijenhuis
Freshman
Record: 11-7
NCAA: 21'NQ
BIG 10: 21'5th 

I'm anxious to see what this guy can do with a full season.  He had some impressive victories last season.  Defeating Michigan State's Jake Tucker twice by scores of 3-2 & 10-3, he also stuck Penn State's Joe Lee at 4:29. Hopefully this year he brings back the mullet. 

174
Emil Soehnlen
Sophomore
Record: 33-21 

I don't think I'm alone in this. I think all wrestling fans at one time or another suffer from a condition known as, "I know he's better than he wrestles, so I'm gonna keep giving him the benefit of the doubtis."  I'll admit, there are times when I suffer greatly from it.  Really, beyond a victory over two time NCAA qualifier Cael McCormick of Army, Soehnlen hasn't don't much to say to me or anyone else that he's going to qualify for the NCAA's this season.  Yet, I still think to myself one of these days he's gonna break out and in the least prove himself to be a top 33 wrestler.  

184
Max Lyon
Senior
Record: 71-53
NCAA: 19'NQ, 20'NQ, 21'NQ
BIG 10: 19'7th, 20'6th, 21'7th 
CKLV: 20'R12 

Lyon's been a solid hand for the Boilermakers the past three seasons and will continue to be one this season. Look for placements at CKLV & Midlands as well as a higher placing in the BIG 10's. 

197
Thomas Penola
Sophomore
Record: 50-27
NCAA: 20'NQ, 21'R12
BIG 10: 20'7th, 21'7th 

The shortened 2020-2021 season didn't give us enough of time to see what Penola can do at 197.  A pretty solid season at HWT during his freshman campaign, he still had some notable victories in the year where there was was no eligibility last season.  A 6-4 victory over Clarion's Greg Bulsak (now of Rutgers) as well as a 4-0 victory of Billy Janzer of Rutgers and a 3-2 victory over Gavin Hoffman of Ohio State.  A top 12 wrestler, I do think like Coleman, All American honors is doable. 

==== 

125 - 2nd
133 - NQ
141 - NQ
149 - DNQ
157 - Top 12/Possible AA
165 - NQ
174 - Giving it a begger's chance NQ
184 - NQ
197 - Top 12/Possible AA
HWT - DNQ 

Head coach Tony Ersland continues to grow the Purdue Boilermaker program and as said before I think the major highlights for the team will come at both CKLV and the Midlands this season. 

















No comments:

Post a Comment