Thursday, December 16, 2021

Midwest Classic Preview 184 lbs (12/18-19/2021)

 



184 lbs at the Midwest Classic this year will feature 11 ranked wrestlers, four of which were NCAA DII All Americans last season. 



I was just informed within an hour of posting this that Heath Gray will NOT be participating, nor will Filipek. Obviously this changes the entire outlook of the bracket.  I do not have time to make a new picture, so this one still includes Gray and Filipek. Be advised when reading, thank you.  

2021 DII Champ Heath Gray of Central Oklahoma not only won the 2020 Midwest Classic, he was also named the Outstanding Wrestler of the tournament. As far as I'm concerned, I think we're looking at the 2021 Midwest Classic Outstanding Wrestler. Gray is or is at least one of the best DII wrestlers in the nation.  He has over 100 wins thus far in his career & of his six losses, three of them have been to Division I opponents. I don't see anyone even remotely challenging him. 

I think we could be looking at a good semi-final between McKendree's Dan Filipek  Ashland's Andy Pasiuk who finished 3rd  Anderson Salisbury of Colorado Mines though, who took 8th at the DII's last season. 

Speaking of Salisbury the situation between himself,  ZeBrandon Gant of Newberry, Noah Curreri of Queens is a rather interesting one.  The Texas native smashed Curreri 11-3, yet has lost twice to Gant, who has lost to Curreri.  Parity anyone? 

Martin Verhaeghe of Fort Hays State & Nolan Krone of Colorado Mesa had a barnburner of a match about a month ago ending 9-7 Sudden Victory in favor of Verhaeghe. That is a rematch I hope we see. 

Lastly I'll say that I'm anxious to see how Gage Roaldson of MSU-Moorhead fares now that he is up a weight class from 174.  If you're going to show the world what you can do a weight up, the Midwest Classic is the place to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment