Friday, December 3, 2021

CKLV Quarter-Final Predictions! (12-3-2021)

 



Man this is a great tournament isn't it? Only through the first two rounds and already some great action! Seen some big upsets and we'll continue to throughout the day.  Figure why not make some predictions? It is Vegas after all. 

125 - Pat Glory (Princeton) Vs Jace Koelzer (Northern Colorado) 

Going with the Tiger on this one and I don't think it'll be close. Calling a major decision for Glory. 

125- Joe Manchio (Columbia) Vs Jack Medley (Michigan) 

These two met recently in a dual in November and it was Medley who won a controlled 6-3 decision. I predict another victory out of the Wolverine, but I do believe Manchio tightens the gap. 

125 - Malik Heinselman (Ohio State) Vs Brandon Kaylor (Oregon State) 

As I have written multiple times already this season, Heinselman has impressed me with the vast improvements that he has made since last season. It's obvious that he's put in the time and the work to make himself a better wrestler. I see a challenge from Kaylor, but overall Heinselman's aggressiveness & superb conditioning win out. 

125 - Jake Allen (Navy) Vs Devin Schroder (Purdue) 

Schroder is one of the best wrestlers in the nation yet to be an All American.  As fans contemplate who meets Lee in this year's NCAA finals, as of right now, not many think Schroder.  There's a possibility that could all change by tomorrow night.  He's got to get past Allen first & then either Heinselman or Kaylor second, but I tell you, I am very anxious to see Schroder Vs Glory.   

133 - Chris Cannon (Northwestern) Vs Jake Gliva (Minnesota) 

I see the Wildcat in a comfortable decision over the Golden Gopher 

133 - Mason Clarke (Columbia) Vs Devan Turner (Oregon State)

In your first ever collegiate competition you find yourself in the quarterfinals of one of the toughest tournaments in the country.  That has to be pretty exciting.  However, I think the buck stops here and Turner will have his way with Clarke.  

133 - Dylan Ragusin (Michigan) Vs Josh Koderhandt (Navy) 

Koderhandt impressed me earlier this year with a 10-5 decision over The Citadel's Jake Rotunda but I wasn't expecting him to just annihilate Brendon Fenton of Kent State the way he did.  Does he have it in him to upset Ragusin? Gut feeling says no, but I think it'll be a better match than what you'd think a #3 seed Vs an unseeded wrestler would be. 

133 - Haiden Drury (Utah Valley) Vs Chance Rich (CSU-Bakersfield) 

Was looking forward to this match but Drury has already won via medical forfeit.  I hope that for whatever reason Rich is now out of the tournament, that he recovers quickly. 

141 Clay Carlson (South Dakota State) Vs Jake Bergeland (Minnesota) 

You know Bergeland gave Carlson a tight 4-3 match at the Bison Open, but Carlson just destroyed him 12-3 less than a week ago.  Carlson might not get the major again, but the Jackrabbit over the Gopher on this one. 

141 - Parker Filius (Purdue) Vs Grant Willits (Oregon State) 

I think this is going to be a really, really good match and it's hard to pick a winner. Both of these guys have a lot of strengths going into this match.  Going to go with Willits, but just by a hair. This one could see the tiebreakers. 

141 - Chad Red (Nebraska) Vs Dylan D'Emilio (Ohio State) 

This match concerns me more than it should. I really thought that Red would dominate this season with majors and pins, but a loss to Kizhan Clarke of North Carolina & two matches today that were closer than expected, D'Emilio has me concerned.  Still going with Red on this one, but I wouldn't get caught sleeping against the Buckeye. One mistake, and D'Emilio will make an inch into a mile. 

141 - Lawrence Saenz (Cal Poly) Vs Andrew Alirez (Northern Colorado) 

I'd like to think that maybe Saenz gives Alirez a match here, but I don't think he will. I don't think that Alirez will major him, but a comfortable victory by 5-7 points? Yes, I see that happening. 

149 - Yianni Diakomihalis (Cornell) Vs Michael Blockhus (Minnesota)

I DO think Diakomihalis WILL be challenged this tournament, but I don't think it happens here. A comfortable victory for the Big Red over the Maroon & gold. 

149 - Ridge Lovett (Nebraska) Vs Jaden Abas (Stanford) 

 Both of these guys are looking forward to a shot at Diakomihalis, but both of these guys have to get past one another first before they can worry about him.  This is going to be a great match.  Maybe even the best match of the CKLV quarterfinals.  This is truly a quarter-flipper, but I'm gonna go with Abas on a close one. 

149 - Yahya Thomas (Northwestern) Vs Legend Lamer (Cal Poly) 

I wouldn't put it past Lamer to pull off an upset here, but the way Thomas has been wrestling as of late, I don't think it'll happen.  The wildcat made up his mind that he was gonna be good at last year's NCAA tournament, and he's been on a roll ever since.  Whether anyone likes it or not, Thomas is a threat to both Sasso and Diakomihalis.  

149- Mitch Moore (Oklahoma) vs Sammy Sasso (Ohio State) 

I do think this one will be closer than most think, but still going with the Buckeye over the Sooner. 

157 - Ryan Deakin (Northwestern) Vs Hunter Willits (Oregon State) 

I do think Willits has a strong shot at winning his R12 match and battling back to a respectable placement, but Deakin is just head and shoulders above the rest at 157 lbs.  While the debate remains between Iowa's Spencer Lee and Minnesota's Gable Steveson for the Hodge, I say consider Deakin for it if he goes undefeated.  Wrestling, as in wrestling, as in wrestling ought to have something to do with winning that prestigious award. My opinion, take it or leave it. 

157 - Jacob Wright (Wyoming) Vs Kendall Coleman (Purdue) 

In the overall scheme of things, I feel in many ways both of these guys are a bit underrated and disrespected.  A win for either, which secures no worse than a 6th place CKLV finish would be good.  Going with Coleman in a good one. 

157 Peyton Robb (Nebraska) Vs Dazjon Casto (The Citadel) 

Casto is coming off a huge upset  Vs Justin Thomas of Oklahoma.  That win alone should finally give Casto the confidence that he's been lacking the past couple of years.  He is literally one of the top wrestlers in the nation yet to make the NCAA tournament.  Really like to see him win his R12 match and secure a CKLV medal, but from where I sit an upset over Robb just ain't happening.  

157 Will Lewan (Michigan) Vs Quincy Monday (Princeton) 

This will be a good one. The last these two met Monday edged Lewan in a 4-1 match. Going to go with Monday again, but could see sudden victory here. 

165 - Evan Wick (Wisconsin) Vs Matt Malcom (UN-Kearney) 

Malcom marks the only NCAA Division II wrestler to make the CKLV quarters.  That in itself has to be pretty rewarding. Nevertheless, he's taking on one of the best 165 lbs wrestlers in NCAA DI and we're going to see the difference between DI and DII in this match. Predict a solid victory for DI's #2 ranked wrestler over DII's #2 ranked wrestler. 

165 - Philip Conigliaro (Harvard) Vs Cam Amine (Michigan)

Love matches like this. A lot on the line for both of these gentlemen. What I said in my 165 lbs CKLV preview rings true.  Harvard is looking to reinstate themselves as a program that produces NCAA qualifiers & All Americans year in and year out.  They were that way for a number of years, slipped off for a while & this is year one of the comeback.  A win here for Conigliaro, solidifies that effort.  On the same hand, Amine has something to prove too. He was an All American last season, proving that he not only can he, he already did! Yet fans and critics alike are doubting his capabilities. A win here bodes well for him too.  I suppose since I have to make a prediction I will, but this is another coin flipper. Actually going to call an upset on this one and go with Conigliaro. 

165 - Carson Kharchla (Ohio State) Vs Julian Ramirez (Cornell) 

I really want to see Ramirez Vs Griffith part II, but there's a chance that the sequel might not even get green lit.  Kharchla looked on fire taking a little over a minute to stick Grant Speer of the Citadel and toying around with Purdue's Emil Soehnlen in a 20-3 technical fall. On the same hand, Ramirez looked sluggish in an 8-6 victory over Binghamton's Brevin Cassella where he gave up two takedowns.  Going with Kharchla on this one. 

165 - P.J. Ogunsanya (Purdue) Vs Shane Griffith (Stanford) 

Ogunsanya with a first period technical fall over South Dakota State's Tanner Cook. Were you expecting that? I sure as heck wasn't. Holy cow. With that said, Griffith has looked good this tournament too with a tech fall and a fall of his own.   Going with the Cardinal on this one, but Ogunsanya is going to give Griffith Hell, I can already tell that. 

174 - Mikey Labriola (Nebraska) Vs Aaron Olmos (Oregon State)

Labriola in a comfortable decision. 

174 - Cade DeVos (South Dakota State) Vs Hayden Hastings (Wyoming) 

A good match, could go either way I feel, but going with Hastings on this one. 

174 - Adam Kemp (Cal Poly) Vs Troy Fisher (Northwestern) 

First an upset over the #3 seed Chris Foca, I think we're gonna see another upset here.  I said that I thought CKLV might be the place for Kemp to make a name for himself & step out from his father's shadow and lay the cards down cause my signal says hit. 

174 - Gerrit Nijenhuis (Purdue) Vs Ethan Smith (Ohio State) 

The last these two met, Smith won handedly in a 15-5 major decision. Predict a similar outcome tonight. 

184 - Tate Samuelson (Wyoming) Vs David Key (Navy) 

Samuelson in close match.  One much closer than a #1 Vs #8 seed should be. One that should tell whoever keeps underseeding Key to pay closer attention. 

184 - Kaleb Romero (Ohio State) Vs Darrien Roberts (Oklahoma)

Thus far in his epic return, Kaleb Romero has delivered and I think he'll continue to do so here.  On paper it is technically an upset, but on the mat, I don't think it is. 

184 - Jonathan Loew (Cornell) Vs Max Lyon (Purdue) 

This will be a good match.  A clash of styles & I'm anxious to see how the one will adapt to the other.  Who's able to capitalize upon the others mistakes and who gives who more fits. Going with the Big Red on this one, but a riding time point could very well be the difference maker. 

184 - Travis Stefanik (Princeton) Vs Taylor Venz (Nebraska) 

Venz is the only wrestler in this entire tournament that is going for his fourth CKLV medal.  I say he earns it in fashion later tonight. 

197 - Jake Woodley (Oklahoma) Vs Jacob Cardenas (Cornell)

A solid textbook victory for the Sooner is what I predict.  Something like a 4-0, 5-1 or 6-2 score. 

197 - Louie DePrez (Binghamton) Vs Eric Schultz (Cornell) 

If Lovett Vs Abas as 149 doesn't turn out to be the best match of the quarters, then this will. Schultz is a former CKLV finalist, but just getting to the semi-finals here is going to be a chore. I will go with the Husker on this one, but I'm not feeling 100% about it. 

197 - Stephen Buchanan (Wyoming) Vs Alan Clothier (Northern Colorado) 

I thought Clothier was better than the #11 seed he'd been given and sure enough as he's upset his way into the quarter-finals he has proven it.  Another upset over Buchanan? I don't think so. I think the Cowboy is just too big, too powerful and too strong for the Bear.  

197 - Garrett Hoffman (Ohio State) Vs Patrick Brucki (Michigan) 

When I wrote my CKLV 197 preview I made it clear to keep an eye on and to watch out for Gavin Hoffman.  I said about him in a post I wrote on March 9th some 9 months ago that I thought we were looking at a guy that would one day win an NCAA title.  I ain't bluffing. I'm calling for the upset here. 

HWT - Tate Orndorff (Ohio State) Vs Joe Doyle (Binghamton)

Comfortable win for the Buckeye over the Bearcat. Maybe even a major

HWT - Lucas Davison (Northwestern) Vs Yaraslou Slavilouski (Harvard) 

Again one of those matches where both guys have something to prove. I've already explained the situation at Harvard and as for Davison, he's looking for more notable victories to move up that HWT ranking ladder since coming up to the weight class from 197.  Either way I think this is a 1 point match, but I'm going with the Crimson on this one. 

HWT - Christian Lance (Nebraska) Vs A.J. Nevills (South Dakota State) 

Going with Lance in a match that is won by more than a takedown. 

HWT - Gary Traub (Oregon State) Vs Brian Andrews (Wyoming)

Thus far placing 7th & 8th at CKLV, I think Andrews not only secures his third medal, but shows that it'll at least be 6th if not higher with a solid victory over Traub tonight. 

=== 

Phew!! There you have it.  40 predictions!  I wonder how I'll do.   Let me know what your predictions are.  It's a shame that with all the new betting going on that there isn't something bigger for wrestling.  Guys getting rich and losing their behinds on football and basketball, might as well here too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment