Sunday, October 3, 2021

2022: The Preseason: Cleveland State Vikings

 One of the most overlooked and underappreciated programs in NCAA Division I wrestling, the Cleveland State Vikings haven't gotten near the recognition or credit they deserve for the vast improvements they have made over the years.  I began following NCAA Division I wrestling closely about 20 years ago & while Cleveland State has had some good teams, this 2021-2022 is about the best I've ever seen.  

Not only do I think that the Vikings can crown their first MAC champion this season, I think they have an ability to put 5, yes you read that right, 5 in the MAC finals. This is a good team. Good things are happening at Cleveland State. We've seen glimpses of it over the past few seasons and this season we'll see even more. 

125 
Logan Heil
Sophomore
Record: 27-16
MAC: 20'6th 

After a year at 133, Heil moves back down to 125 lbs where he was 24-12 as a freshman. I see no reason at all why Heil can't make a run at the MAC title & become the Viking's first champion.  He's beaten Willy Girard of Bloomsburg twice by scores of 11-9 sudden victory and 6-5. He pinned Luke Werner of Lock Haven in 2:36 and he owns a 7-4 win over Jake Ferri of Kent State. 

149
Marcus Robinson
Sophomore
Record: 48-33
NCAA: 21'NQ
MAC: 20'7th, 21'2nd

With Brent Moore of Clarion and Alex Madrigal of George Mason, I will say that if both are healthy, Robinson has his work cut out for him.  Nevertheless, he is still a contender for the MAC title. 

165
Riley Smucker
Sophomore
Record: 47-29 
MAC: 20'5th, 21'4th 

A match away from NCAA qualification last season, I don't see Smucker defeating Izaak Olejnik of Northern Illinois, but I think anyone else at the weight class is fair game.  Smucker stands as good of a chance as does anyone making the MAC finals. 

184 
DeAndre Nassar 
Sophomore
NCAA: 21'NQ
MAC: 20'7th, 21'3rd 

Like Smucker, I don't see Nassar winning the MAC title this season. I think Northern Illinois' Britt Wilson is too much to overcome.  I do think though that Nassar contends with Max Wohlabaugh of Clarion & George Walton of Rider for runner-up honors.  

197 
Ben Smith
Junior
Record: 53-38
NCAA: 21'NQ
MAC: 20'7th, 21'2nd


Not only do I think Smith can win an MAC title this season, I think he'll be the forerunner to do so.  Not sure if anyone else on the Viking roster will enter the MAC's seeded #1, but Smith should.  His most impressive win was a 12-5 dismantling of Greg Bulsack of Clarion last season, but he owns other impressive victories as well.  He's beaten Missouri's Wyatt Koelling twice and he owns a 12-4 major decision over J.J. Dixon of Oregon State. 

HWT
John Kelby
Junior
Record: 41-46
MAC: 20'6th 

A win over NCAA qualifier Jordan Earnest of Ohio & a victory over SOCON champion Michael McAleavey of The Citadel, I would think John Kelby could be another qualifier for the Vikings this season.  HWT in the MAC is pretty tough, but Kelby should place somewhere between 4th and 6th. 

=== 

125 - NQ
133 - DNQ
141 - DNQ
149 - NQ
157 - DNQ
165 - NQ
174 - DNQ
184 - NQ
197 - NQ
HWT - NQ 

For a team on the brink of extinction not all that long ago, I think six NCAA qualifiers is a pretty good showing.  They are more than capable of this predicted success. 













No comments:

Post a Comment