Sunday, October 31, 2021

Southeast Open Preview (11-7-2021)

 Again as I've said about the other Opens that I have previewed thus far, if teams slotted to participate bring their varsity starters we will see some great wrestling.  



125 lbs 

Contemplating probable seeds, I think we're looking at a semi-final on one side of the bracket of Glory Vs Manchio and the other side of Latona Vs Russell. McCormick who I would think would be the #5 seed out of these wrestlers has a grand opportunity to improve his stake with victories that are not out of his reach.  The Southeast Open recognizes the top 6 place-winners and I would think that sixth place slot should go to Jones. Latona won the 2020 title, but if Glory does indeed enter, it'll be difficult to repeat. 




133 lbs 

Myers is without question the favorite here to win the title, although I can see the winner between Carter and Courtney, which should prove to be a fantastic semi-final, giving him a match in the finals.  Rini from where I sit is clearly the fourth best wrestler in this bracket, but I don't see him beating any of the other three. 



141 lbs 

The probable final here is Kazimir Vs Brito, but I tell you the guy to keep an eye on Virginia redshirt freshman Dylan Cedeno.  Everyone is out to make a name for themselves, and the Cavalier took NCAA qualifier Gerardi to a tight 7-6 match last season. The two are likely to meet up again, unless one pulls off an upset or gets upset somewhere along the way. Should prove to be another exciting match. 



149 lbs 

I'm anxious to see whether they end up giving Millner the #1 seed or if they give it to Andonian. Millner was 8th in the nation last season compared to Andonian who finished one match shy of placing & in their only meeting, Millner handled Andonian rather easily in a 16-8 major decision.  However, both intermat and theopenmat have Andonian currently ranked ahead of Millner.  Not a shot from me, because I know how difficult rankings are to do.  I tried doing them exactly one time and I don't ever want to experience that nightmare again.  

I tell you what I will criticize though.  The fact that Alex Madrigal can't catch a break.  That kid is against the wind no matter what direction he heads. He first gets shafted by his own athletic director at Old Dominion, when the wrestling team is unjustifiably discontinued and it seems no matter what he does or who he beats, he is always overlooked and underrated. I get that he's moving up to 149 from 141 and that he missed last season due to injury.  BUT....some publications don't even think he'll finish out the season as one of the top 33? Give me a break!! He's a two time NCAA qualifier and he'll silence his doubters the same way this season that he has in seasons past.  I can't figure it out.  He's a psychology major, maybe he knows why when disrespect gets handed out, he always gets a healthy helping.  Upsetting Andonian or Millner, or maybe even both?  If he's 100% and ready to go, I don't see why not.  History proves that Millner is susceptible to upset and everyone else is fair game. 

With that said, I'm anxious to see if Virginia enters both Verkleeren and Spencer.  Might as well. This is an open after all.  I was hoping to get to see a battle between the two, but it didn't happen at the wrestle-offs.  Maybe it'll happen here.  I hope so.  As I said in my Virginia Cavalier preseason preview, I give a slight edge to Verkleeren but I'm anxious to see how it turns out.   I would think Keller takes the sixth place slot. 





157 lbs 

I would think that Keating having a 10-4 victory over Monday would take the #1 seed here, with either Monday or Brady taking the #2 seed, with the other at #3.  I think Bond would be the obvious #4 seed. As to the rest, I think this bracket presents an opportunity for the likes of Berkovich, Segura and Sanderlin to put themselves on the map and show that they are indeed contenders for NCAA qualification this season.  Throughout the years the Wildcats haven't had a large number of place-winners during in-season tournaments. It'd be a great step for the program. 



165 lbs 

McCoy is the obvious #1 seed here.  Thus far in his career he already owns two victories 7-4 & 5-2 over Formato.  The question is, between Formato and Cuomo who to put at #2 and who to put at #3.  I'm not sure if it makes much if any difference at all, as the two ought to have a classic in the semi-finals. I think asking Chishko to upset any of these two guys is probably asking for too much, but to place as high as fourth or at least within the top 6 I think is very doable.  



174 lbs 

Is Lewis healthy? Is Lewis 100%? Is Lewis going to be as effective at 174 lbs as he was at 165?  These are all fair questions and if he enters the Southeast Open, I believe we'll get our answers. These aren't the types of mid-term exams that he'll face later in the season such as Carter Starocci of Penn State or Mike Kemerer of Iowa, but I'd call Flitz, Marcelli and/or Patrick pop quizzes worth studying for. 

Speaking of Marcelli and Patrick, since when did Patrick become chopped liver? It seems everyone everywhere has already noted Marcelli as the Cavaliers' starter without giving any consideration to Patrick and I fail to see why.  It's nothing against Marcelli, but I think Patrick has more than earned his place as a contender to start for the navy blue and orange.  Like with Verkleeren and Spencer, this was a wrestle-off I was hoping would take place, but didn't.  I can easily see this being the 3rd place match & I can even see Patrick upsetting Flitz into the finals. Not that hard to conceive considering he already owns a 9-6 victory over him.  (For the record Flitz has also beaten Patrick by a score of 6-2).  



184 lbs 

Bolen is the favorite here, although I am excited to see what will happen in a likely finals match between him and Stefanik, should both enter the tournament. I said earlier in my George Mason preseason preview that I felt that Kyle Davis could open up some eyes this season & I believe that the Southeast Open gives him an opportunity to due that. Already owning a 10-6 victory over Battista, he's easily in the hunt for 3rd place.  Brown hopefully gives VMI another place-winner. 



197 lbs 

If you're doing an over/under on the Southeast Open, your safest bet in naming a champion is Aiello.  The Cavalier may very well be the best senior in the nation yet to All American and if he's not, he's at least one of them.  The question here is, who will be his finals opponent? I wanted to put a word in for Stan Smeltzer of Virginia Tech, but he isn't even on the roster anymore.  Teammate Howard has a legitimate shot at making the finals as does Stith and Mousaw.  A lot will come down to seeding.  



HWT 

HWT at the Southeast Open doesn't look to be real loaded, but what it does provide us with, is the first of what should be many meetings between Miller and Traxler this season. Of course Deonte Wilson of North Carolina State & Brandon Whitman of North Carolina will have something to say about this, but Miller Vs Traxler could very well end up being the ACC finals come March.  If both enter the tournament, it'll give fans in attendance a treat in the final match of the tournament. 



No comments:

Post a Comment