Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Gone, Lost & Forgotten: Their Best = Cal State Los Angeles

The first time I ran across Cal State Los Angeles in my research, I thought that it was simply a typo of UCLA.  A tournament from the early 1970's out in California had a number of wrestlers in the finals with (UCLA) written beside their name.  One wrestler in the bracket had (CSULA) written next to his name.  I researched it and discovered that yes indeed this wrestler was from Cal State Los Angeles.

Unfortunately within all of my research this wrestler I came across is the only representation of the team I've ever found other than a dual meet record of Long Beach State defeating the team by a substantial margin.  Even then I wasn't able to find out much about the wrestler himself.  If you have any information about the wrestler I'm about to mention or about Cal State LA wrestling, please let me know.

Jerry Lawrence
150 lbs
From what I've been able to find the Golden Eagles best wrestler was 1972 NCAA qualifier Jerry Lawrence. In trying to research Lawrence, I ran across a J. Lawrence from Durante I found in California State high school records from the late 1960's.  Not sure if it is the same Lawrence or not.

I run across teams that are a full on mystery from time to time & this is one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment