Sunday, May 3, 2020

2019-2020 Was Not a Loss for Arizona State

First off Mr. Skoda I want to say that I feel that your article was well written & I enjoyed reading it.  However, I take issue with the title "ASU Wrestling Coach Zeke Jones Reflects On the Loss of a Promising Season."   In particularly with the word that I have in bold and underlined. I take issue with it for a variety of reasons.

Before I continue I want to make it clear that what I'm about to say is not a shot at you or so much a reflection of you as it is the wrestling community in general.  I think what you wrote illustrates a problem within the wrestling community itself. 

I operate my own wrestling blog. Johnnythompsonnum1.blogspot.com.  One of the features is a series I have entitled, "Gone, Lost & Forgotten."  A focus on all of the many collegiate programs we have lost in the past fifty plus years.  When studying why university presidents & athletic directors choose to eliminate wrestling programs, I've come across certain justifications more than once. 

"An inability to be competitive"

That comes up a lot & I'll tell you why I take issue with it.  Often times these "non-competitive teams" have success throughout the season & are competitive within their conference. What they are not, is competitive within the NCAA.  New Hampshire, a school that I posted about earlier today is a perfect example.  Their last season of 1990-1991 they had a dual record of 14-5 & they finished in second place in their conference.  I'd say that's competitive.  However, they did not finish high at the NCAA tournament & that seems to be our sole focus. 

Matter of fact it seems to me that a wrestling team can be successful in a variety of ways, but if they don't finish within the top 15 at the NCAA tournament, they see the season as a loss. 

I'm a big fan of Josh Shields & Tanner Hall.  Looking forward to Shields securing another All American medal & I do believe Hall was in the hunt for an NCAA title.   Yet, I can't sum up their senior seasons as disappointments or "losses" simply because they didn't get to wrestle three days of it.  NCAA Division I wrestling is nearly a half a year of grueling, grinding, duals and tournaments.  I think more than three days in March ought to be recognized. I think more than three days in March ought to be celebrated.

The Sun Devils as mentioned defeated Penn State in a dual meet.  Josh Maruca's name wasn't mentioned. I think it should have been. After all it was his win over Verkleeren that secured the victory.   I think that's worth pointing out and recognizing.

Cliff Keen Las Vegas saw six Sun Devils earn medals & the team finish in third place.

The PAC 12 saw six Sun Devils punch tickets to the NCAA tournament, five of which won titles.  The team won the championship.

The Sun Devils wrestled in 17 duals.  They won 15 of them.

The 2019-2020 season a "loss" for the Sun Devils? 

Not from where I stand my friend.  Not from where I stand.

No comments:

Post a Comment