Friday, December 22, 2023

Soldier Salute (Friday Dec 29th-Saturday Dec 30th) Preview = 174

 




#4
Cade DeVos
South Dakota State

While the Jackrabbits have others at some of the lower weight classes who stand a fighting man's shot, 174 lbs is the first weight where South Dakota State goes in heavily favored to walk out of here with a title.  Cade DeVos has looked exceptionally good this year, recently picking up a prestigious CKLV title here a few weeks ago.  He'd love to add another title to his resume with a Soldier Salute championship. Has a 9-1 major over Sam Skillings. 

#15
Patrick Kennedy
Iowa

Patrick Kennedy was a champion here at 165 lbs last year & he plans on being a champion here this year at 174 lbs. Owns a 30 second fall over Cole Nance, a 10-4 decision over Sam Skillings & a 6-3 decision over Andrew Sparks.  Would love to knock off DeVos in front of a home crowd of screaming Hawkeye faithful. 

U.R.
Lennox Wolak
Columbia 

I'm pretty confident our final here will be DeVos Vs Kennedy, but if there's anyone in this bracket looking to possibly spoil those plans it is Lennox Wolak.  What the Lion has going for his most is a gas tank that never seems lower than 3/4's.  It's what he's used to pull off some big upsets in the past & I wouldn't put it past him to use it again to pull of some more big upsets.  Owns a 6-5 decision over Jared Simma. 

U.R. 
Danny Wask
Navy

Here's another guy who might possibly spoil whatever plans there are here at the Soldier Salute.  I cannot believe that Danny Wask isn't currently ranked.  Everyone seems so gung-ho on freshman all of the time & Hell, Wask placed 4th at the Midlands last season while he was still in high school!  Then here a couple weeks ago he was 4th at CKLV.  I just checked for the 10th time & no, he is not in the rankings. No matter, he's still one I wouldn't ever look past once he steps on the mat. 

U.R. 
Andrew Sparks
Minnesota


Like I said, I feel pretty confident that the final here is DeVos Vs Kennedy, but I recognize other tough wrestlers in this bracket as I evaluate the possibilities for 3rd through 8th, and who might possibly pull off an upset.  Andrew Sparks has wrestled very well in the past.  Upsetting Kennedy or DeVos well?  What I will say is that I see him on the higher half of the placings when this tournament is all said and done. 

    




Looking over the rest of the weight class, I evaluate and analyze trying to decipher who will who our top 8 will be by tournament's end.  I tell you there is some good talent in this bracket, if who can show up does show up.  Cole Nance is one of Bellarmine's better wrestlers who I think will do well in their final NCWA year end tournament. I can see him doing well here.  Sam Skillings is a tough backup for Andrew Sparks & he should display that here.  Mason Reiniche is another tough backup in his own right, behind Travis Wittlake in the Beaver lineup.  Again, I think we see that here. Last by certainly not least, Jared Simma who is currently a tough starter for the Panthers. Simma just recently picked up a huge win in a dual with a 3:41 fall over Alex Faison of North Carolina State.  



No comments:

Post a Comment