Saturday, December 23, 2023

Soldier Salute (Friday Dec 29th-Saturday Dec 30th) Preview = 197

 

#6
Tanner Sloan
South Dakota State

197 lbs marks the second weight class favoring South Dakota State for an individual title. Last year's NCAA DI finalist Tanner Sloan would like to do himself one better this season & along the way collect a few other titles as well. The Soldier Salute being one of them.  Thus far owns both an 11-2 major decision over Garrett Joles & both a 4-2 as well as a 2-0 decision over Max Shawn. 

#15
Zach Glazier
Iowa

I think Zach Glazier can match upper-body strength with anyone at 197 & once the other categories of success rise to the level he'd jump for #15 to somewhere in the top 8 in the nation in a heartbeat. He was 3rd here last year with a very impressive 12-3 victory over Wyatt Voelker & he comes in favorite to meet Sloan in the finals.  To my understanding I don't think we'll see teammate Kolby Franklin, who was 2nd here last year, in action. If I'm wrong & we do see Franklin, he has a 4-3 decision over Glazier on his resume. 


#19
Max Shaw
North Carolina

You never quite know what to expect when Max Shaw steps out on to the mat.  Thus far this season he's wrestled well enough to earn himself a ranking, but he'll have to wrestle very well here if he wants to keep it.  Among the competition, he's got his work cut out for him with some very talented unranked wrestlers in this bracket. I say this with the realization that he could also wrestle well enough to make the finals this tournament too. 

#20
Joey Novak
Wyoming

Thus far the true-freshman is having himself a standout first season with the Cowboys of Wyoming.  8th at CKLV, he recently took runner-up honors at RENO.  No doubt about it, the youngster will be looking for a solid finish here at the Salute as well. 




U.R. 
Wyatt Voelker

Ironically enough, while Voelker does have the loss to Glazier, he owns a 3-1 win over Franklin.  Just another example of the vast parity in our sport.  The Panther was 4th here last season, & he's one of the very talented unranked wrestlers I'm referring to. 


U.R.
Garrett Joles 
Minnesota

Here's another super talented guy that wasn't in the rankings.  A guy that reminds me of why I grit my teeth whenever I hear the ignorant words, "He's not even ranked" come out of someone's mouth.  Could I see Garrett Joles coming in here and making the Soldier Salute finals? Yes, yes I could.  Beating Tanner Sloan is the only thing I question, & I don't completely rule that out either.  Thus far the Golden Gopher has both an 8-3 as well as a 10-4 decision over Max Shaw. 




No comments:

Post a Comment