Saturday, December 23, 2023

Soldier Salute (Friday Dec 29th-Saturday Dec 30th) Preview = HWT

 




#17
Tyrell Gordon
Northern Iowa

Obviously if Schwab wrestles his varsity here, Tyrell Gordon is the favorite to win HWT. The two time NCAA qualifier would be likely to take one of the individual titles and bring it back to Cedar Falls.  After Gordon though, I find HWT the most difficult of the Soldier Salute to predict.  For the record, Gordon owns a 4-2 decision over Luke Rasmussen. 

U.R.
Grady Griess
Navy

I feel pretty confident in saying that I feel Grady Griess could be a finalist here at the Soldier Salute. An NCAA qualifier in his own right, I even feel confident saying that he could challenge Gordon for the title.  There is a ton of unranked talent that will be in this tournament, proving to the wrestling world that you don't have to have a # next to your name in order kick sitzfleisch. Griess is one of them. 

U.R. 
Bennett Tabor
Minnesota

Here's another tough unranked wrestler.  If you examine the Golden Gopher lineup, they resemble one of those quiet teams that lurks in the distance awaiting the opportunity to strike.  The opportunity is here at the Soldier Salute & I'm excited to see how well the Minnesota wrestlers do.  Among those with potential is Bennett Tabor. Owns a 9-7 victory over Luke Rasmussen. 

U.R. 
Luke Rasmussen
South Dakota State


As noted, a 4-2 loss to Gordon & a 9-7 loss to Tabor, Luke Rasmussen has managed to go out and give good wrestlers, good matches. Now it's a matter of whether he can turn these close losses into wins or not. If he can, he could end up being one of the bigger (pardon the pun) surprises of the tournament. 


U.R.
Cade Lautt
North Carolina 

A backup for the Tar Heels at 197 the past two seasons, Cade Lautt is now varsity up at HWT as he's looking to make a name for himself in Collegiate wrestling's heaviest weight class. Plenty of opportunity to garner some notable victories here at the Salute. 

U.R.
Brad Hill
Iowa

I've said since I was 7 years old that there are two types of Iowa Hawkeye fans.  The supportive, positive ones & the not so supportive, negative ones.  Perhaps every team has these types of fans & it's only painfully noticeable to me about the Iowa fans cause I live in Iowa & I'm in the heart of Hawkeye country.  It's not Brad Hill's fault what happened with Anthony Cassioppi.  He had nothing to do with it, but you would think he did with some of the negative talk I have read over the past few months on message boards & facebook wrestling pages.  I fall into the category of the positive & supportive.  It takes a lot of guts to step in and take over the position.  As far as I'm concerned I think Hill is doing a pretty solid job thus far.  He had a rough match against Iowa State, but bounced back to get a win over Cole Urbas of Penn, which I think is worth noting.  He could really use a monumental moment though & the Soldier Salute provides him with the opportunity to do so. 

U.R.
Tyler Mousaw
VMI

I've been watching Tyler Mousaw compete at 197 the past three seasons & my thoughts have remained the same about him. The guy has outstanding technique, he just doesn't have the upperbody strength to compete at the weight. I was really hoping that over the summer he'd lock himself in the weight room & come back with an Arnold Schwarzenegger physique. Of course, he goes HWT instead.  His record is 2-4 right now & he's also been injured already this season as well.  So why am I listing him here? Because I can't seem to separate potential from result when it comes to Mousaw.  I know how good the guy can be and I can't shake the hope that one of these days he'll finally demonstrate it. He was 6th here last year at 197. 












No comments:

Post a Comment