Thursday, February 27, 2020

2020 BIG 10 Preview = 197 lbs



I can see as many as ten allocations at this weight class for the BIG 10. Still a bit of parity but not near the mental asylum seeking insanity that is 184.

Ohio State's Kollin Moore is the clear favorite and I don't see anyone denying him his third title.   I really thought he'd be a four time BIG 10 champ for the Buckeyes.  With the way he handled both Penn State's Shakur Rasheed 14-6 & Purdue's C.J. Brunner 16-6, I have no doubt that he'll be back atop the award stand.

Speaking of which I sort of surprised myself seeding Rasheed as low as I did but I felt I had to.  He not only lost to Moore, but he also lost to Iowa's Jacob Warner and to Nebraska's Eric Schultz as well.  With his other loss being a 7-5 decision to Lucas Davison of Northwestern who in turn has lost twice to Brunner, sixth is as high as I could justifiably put Rasheed.  I don't see him finishing that low however.

As to the rest of the weight class Maryland's Jaron Smith has figured out a way to catch opponents off guard and put them on their backs.  Some would see this as a reason to place him higher than I did but with two losses to Michigan's Jackson Striggow I feel justified in where I placed him.

How I would seed?

#1 Kollin Moore senior Ohio State
#2 Eric Schultz junior Nebraska
#3 Jacob Warner sophomore Iowa
#4 C.J. Brunner senior Purdue
#5 Lucas Davison freshman Northwestern
#6 Shakur Rasheed senior Penn State
#7 Jordan Pagnano senior Rutgers
#8 Jackson Striggow senior Michigan
#9 Jaron Smith senior Maryland
#10 Hunter Ritter senior Minnesota

1 comment:

  1. Way off on this one. Only 6 spots and I guessed 10. Find it hard to believe that Rasheed, Striggow & Ritter stay home this year.

    ReplyDelete