Wednesday, February 26, 2020

2020 BIG 10 Preview = 157 lbs



This weight class interest me for a variety of reasons.  First and foremost I think it is perhaps the most straight forward as far as seeding is concerned.   From where I stand their should be six allocations at this weight class with a possible seventh.  I would think that 22-8 Quinn Kinner of Ohio State with most of his matches being a 157 would be one, but I'm not for certain considering he started the season off wrestling at 133.

Ryan Deakin of Northwestern is the clear #1 seed and it's hard for me to believe that his best BIG 10 finish thus far has been fifth.  Kaleb Young of Iowa the clear #2 seed and he finished fourth last season.

It rounds out clear Kendall Coleman of Purdue, Will Lewan of Michigan, Jake Tucker of Michigan State & Peyton Robb of Nebraska.  In all my seeding predictions thus far 125-157, this is where I'm almost confident I won't see an objection.

#1 Ryan Deakin junior Northwestern
#2 Kaleb Young junior Iowa
#3 Kendall Coleman freshman Purdue
#4 Will Lewan freshman Michigan
#5 Jake Tucker junior Michigan State
#6 Peyton Robb freshman Nebraska

#7 Quinn Kinner freshman Ohio State

Yet, here's the kicker....

This weight class is loaded with potential upsets.  In baseball players steal bases.  In wrestling, wrestlers steal allocations.  Mike Van Brill of Rutgers can be dangerous at times and you never want to overlook him.  A guy to really look out for may be Minnesota's Ryan Thomas.  He defeated Tucker 5-2 & most of his matches with the other top talent in the BIG 10 have been close.  He took Young into the tiebreakers.  I'll even give losing record Bo Pipher of Penn State a fighter's chance.  The Nittany Lions almost always seem prepared for tournaments.   Lastly, Illinois' Eric Barone is never shy to turn it on when it counts.  I can see him upsetting his way to qualification as well. 

1 comment:

  1. Thought BIG 10 would get 7 but not that overtly shocked that they only got six. Kinner has a lot of wins, but not that many quality.

    ReplyDelete