Thursday, March 28, 2024

To the Class of 2024: NCAA Division III 174 lbs

 Anxious to see how 174 lbs shapes up in NCAA Division III for '24-'25, as many tough wrestlers saw their final year of eligibility expire this season.  Saying a goodbye to a lot of great talents.  

Zane Mulder
Wartburg

I can remember reading when Zane Mulder first committed to Iowa State. When I found out that he was transferring to Wartburg, I knew the Knights had picked up someone was going to do some great things for them. Indeed he did.  2nd in the NWCA in 2021, it was 4th-1st-2nd place finishes in NCAA Division III.  100-16 throughout his career, he finished the past two seasons with Lower Midwest Regional finishes 1st & 2nd. 

Charlie Grygas
SUNY-Oswego

Here's a guy I always enjoyed watching.  Super tough in the top position, the guy was always trying to put points up on the board.  A 4 time NCAA DIII qualifier he was 3rd-2nd-1st-2nd at the Mideast Regional.  After finishing R12 as a sophomore, had NCAA DIII All American finishes of 4th & 5th.  119-19 on his career, he'll go down as a favorite of the Laker program. 

Jason Geyer
NYU

It's hard for me to believe that this guy spent his first couple of years at 141 lbs! Spent some major time in the weight room & ended up competing at both the 174 & 184 lbs weight classes.  25-3 on the year, won the Northeast Regional title.  I believe he had 91 career victories in total. 

Stefan Major
Stevens Tech

What to say about Stefan Major?  I first started covering collegiate wrestling 18 years ago.  I bounced around a lot of unpaid or very low paid gigs for quite a few years before I started my own website back in 2014.  I continued to doing a lot of work for other organizations, again at no pay or little pay, until wrestling writing legend Dan McCool convinced me in April of 2017, that I could gain a respectable audience on my own.  Over the past 7 years, I have gained a respectable audience.  I average 25,000 readers a month & make a low of $50 to a high of $200 a month through advertisements. 

Like most wrestling media, I had a heavy concentration of NCAA Division I.  One night a former teammate of mine, who had remained a good friend throughout the years called me up.  At the time he was an assistant at the NAIA level.  He told me that I owed it to the sport, as well as to myself to start covering the small programs.  I made up my mind that I was going to start doing that.  I had always paid some attention to NCAA DII, DIII & NAIA, but three years ago, I decided I was gonna dive in & get to know these Divisions as well as I knew Division I. 

Then this year, I added in NJCAA too.  Let me tell you, I had no idea how much extra work it would be.  How much more time I'd put into it & how overwhelmed and exhausted I would be.  I fell in love with D2, D3 & NAIA wrestling the past three seasons, & I'm begging to fall in love with NJCAA.   I'm not sure if I'll be able to dedicate as much time to wrestling next season, as I have a lot of huge, positive changes coming my way in the next 6 to 12 months, that may end up taking up a lot of my time. 

What does all of this have to do with Stefan Major?  Well, truth is, Johnnythompsonnum1 runs on a budget that would LOVE to be able to afford a shoe-string.  In '22-'23, I thought maybe I could fundraise so that I could improve my coverage.  So that I could get out and do more for wrestling, especially at the smaller levels.   All in all I ended up getting about $75 on the year.  About 15 people donated, including Stefan Major.  

In a preview I wrote that Major was going to have a tough match in his own practice room against teammate Joel Martsinovsky.  Major didn't like me saying that.  He let me know, and he donated a whole $0.01 to Johnnythompsonnum1.   I've called him Stefan "Abe Lincoln" Major ever since.   

I didn't let any of that keep me from covering him the past two years. I wrote about Major a lot & watched him compete.  A three time Southeast Regional champion, he had All American finishes of 7th-5th-8th at the NCAA Division III championships.  Truth to be known, he really should have been wrestling in the 5th place match, as I feel like he got hosed on a couple of calls in the consolation quarter-finals.  He was also a three time Middle Atlantic Conference champ, having finished 2nd as a freshman.   Tough kid, one who stuck to the basics & had a mean arm bar series. 

I hope in the years to come, Major will look back on his career & maybe spend a day looking himself up on the internet. See how many articles he's featured in and how often he was written about.  Flo? Intermat? Theopenmat? Other than D3wrestle & D3nation, the answer is the Portillo Brothers & Johnnythompsonnum1.  I know many see it as conceited and arrogant, but every once in a while you do need to toot your own horn & sell yourself.  The major outlets are 90 to 95% NCAA DI.  There's reasons for that & I could even defend them on their choice to be so.  Yet the truth of the matter is there is so little coverage for DII, DIII & NAIA, and one of the main sources for coverage is JT#1.   Do I wish I could do better, get out and do more?  You betcha.  I play the lottery twice a month & you & I both already know one of the things I'd do if I were to win the jackpot.   I once had a stray dog I was trying to feed bite my hand.  I was kinda ticked off at first, but I let my anger go and I continued to try and feed the dog.  After a while the dog realized what I was doing & took the food.  It's no different here.  D3 wrestling is the dog, as is D2 & NAIA, and as of late NJCAA.  It's not the first time I got bit & it won't be the last. 

Joe Chapman
USCGA


I don't know if the United States Coast Guard Academy gets all the credit it deserves for all of the vast improvements that have been made over the years.  I think Chase Randall winning an NCAA DIII title will help draw attention, but the Bears have done so much more.  Chapman really stepped it up this season, going 22-5 & earning a 2nd place finish at the Northeast Regional. 

Dejon Glaster
Millikin 


What a standout final season for Dejon Glaster of Millikin.  8th in the Lower Midwest Regional a year ago, he took a strong 3rd place showing this season & turned it into a 6th place finish at the NCAA DIII championships. 27-7 on the year. 

Colby Morris
Waynesburg

After a standout season last year, that saw him finish 2nd at the Southeast Regional & R12 at the NCAA Division III championships, I really thought that Colby Morris would make a run at All American honors this year.  It's really a shame that the qualification process can't figure out a way to encompass the entire season, because had Morris made the championships, I still believe he'd have been a contender for a top 8 showing.  Unfortunately he had a disappointing Regional, where he finished 6th & slice it anyway you want, only the top three qualify.  34-3 on the season, he did win another Presidents Athletic Conference title. 














No comments:

Post a Comment