Monday, March 11, 2024

In Contention for an At Large/Wildcard Bid NCAA DI = 149 lbs

 Here at 149 lbs we have four at large/wildcard bids.  Strictly from a fan's perspective with nothing other than my own views I've narrowed it down to six wrestlers I believe will be fighting for one of those four spots. 

Jayden Scott
 North Carolina

The young Tar heel strikes me as a likely candidate to receive wildcard entry into the 2024 NCAA DI wrestling championships.  Didn't have a great ACC tournament, but he has had an otherwise fairly solid seasons.  Wins include a 4-1 decision over Corbyn Munson of Central Michigan & a 4-3 win over Cody Bond of Appalachian State. 

Finn Solomon
Pittsburgh 

If I'm going to include Scott, might as well include the man who beat him for 3rd place in the ACC championships.  Finn Solomon of Pittsburgh.  Another talented freshman, the Panther has 18 wins on the season. 

Jude Swisher
Pennsylvania

Yet another talented freshman who I think will get the nod for NCAA DI qualification in 2024.  Jude Swisher of Pennsylvania owns a 24-8 record, with some notable victories throughout the season. 

Alek Martin
South Dakota State

A bad BIG 12 tournament kept him out of qualification last season, but I think a 7th place finish, plus the fact that he owns a 12-2 major decision over Gabe Willochell of Wyoming, get South Dakota State's Alek Martin in this year. Could be wrong, but I think he gets the nod. 20 wins on the season. 

Noah Castillo
Chattanooga

Noah Castillo of Chattanooga was ranked heading into the SOCON championships & I think that would hold merit when the selection committee goes to make their decision.  

Zach Price
Gardner Webb 

I would love to see Zach Price of Gardner Webb get a bid, but a 2nd place SOCON finish didn't get him in last year & I don't think a 3rd place finish will get him in this year.  He has 29 wins on the season, but I don't think any of them are going to hold much weight when the final decisions are made.  Again, would love to see him get in though. 












No comments:

Post a Comment