Thursday, February 21, 2019

2019 BIG 10 My Thoughts

Image result for BIG 10 Wrestling



Pull up an easy chair and relax. This is going to be long.  I'm going to provide in this preview a weight by weight analysis that will include the following:

1. A breakdown of every wrestler I feel is eligible for an allotment, an at large selection or a plausible steal.  Also included will be their BIG 10 Record Vs one another and former BIG 10 (Or other) accomplishments. 

2. What I would seed them (Pay attention to the colors above)

3. My thoughts

Then a wrap up at the end that includes how many wrestlers I think each team ought to qualify to the NCAA's.

 125 lbs
1. Rivera
2. Lee
3. Russell
4 Foley
5 Piotrowski
6. Mattin
7. Moisey
8. Oliver

9. Schroder 

I think our finals match, one of the most anticipated matches of the BIG 10 tournament, is pretty much set in stone.  Rivera Vs Lee part II, the sequel that should prove to be every bit exciting if not outdo the original.  On paper Moisey is the last person to look at going 1-5 against the field, including being pinned twice. However come post season he always finds a way to turn it on and it's never safe to bet against him.  I see the NCAA allotting eight slots for qualification here and I'm going to give Purdue's Schroder plausibility in possibly stealing one.


133 lbs
1. Micic 
2. DeSanto
3. Suriano 
4. Pletcher
5. Lizak 
6. Bravo-Young
7. Thornton 
8. Duncan 

I can see a lot happening here. I have a ton of thoughts regarding 133 lbs in the BIG 10.  First off regarding DeSanto. In 17 years of doing previews he marks the first time I've ever contemplated predicting a disqualification. I've been assured by the bleeders of black and gold that it is all under control but I've always found more comfort in proof than I ever have faith. I think I fairly seeded Lizak putting him at fifth but I highly doubt that's where he'll end up.  A big tournament wrestler known to show up when it counts, placing fifth in his final BIG 10 tournament, held in his house? I don't think so.  Pletcher seems to want every match he's in to be decided by a point and it'll be interesting to see if he lives or dies by it this tournament.  Look for Thornton to live up to his name and possibly be a "thorn" in the side of his opponents. He's kept it close a number of times this season. There's no reason to think that he couldn't turn one of those close losses into a win.  Lastly although I don't think it's likely, Michigan State's Anthony Tutolo, Northwestern's Collin Valdiviez, Indiana's Paul Konrath and Wisconsin's Jens Lantz could steal spots. Not counting on it though.

141 lbs 



1. McKenna
2. Lee
3. Carr
4. Moran
5. McKee
6. Storr
7. Red
8. Murin 

9. Lipari
10. Limmex 


Lee won the head to head Vs McKenna, but I believe McKenna will get the nod over Lee, due to Lee's loss to Moran. Speaking of Moran, there be not a 141 lbs'er in the nation that is more inconsistent and unpredictable. Making the finals or failing to place in the top eight, take your pick.  Carr upset Lee in the semi-finals last season, and we could see a repeat of that.  I believe this weight will allot the top eight, with Lipari and Limmex possibly stealing spots.  Austin Eicher of Michigan State thus far hasn't shown me that he'll challenge for qualification, but he's done some big things in the past, and that lingers in the back of my mind.

149 lbs 



1. Ashnault
2. Jordan
3. Lugo
4. Thorn
5. Martin
6. Berge
7. Amine
8. Bannister

9. Thomas 

First off I made a couple of guesses. Penn State could go with Verkleeren instead of Berge. I think they'll go with Berge, but that is a possibility.  I'm not sure what Northwestern is going to do.  They could put Thomas at 141 and Oster at 149.  Or maybe they'll put Alec McKenna at 141 and Thomas at 149. I'm not sure, so I made a guess.  With all that out of the way....

Pat Lugo's hot streak as of late gives an ounce of suggestion that the finals could be something other than Jordan Vs Ashnault but I think we'll see a repeat of this years CKLV finals which proved to be most exciting.  I'd like to think that Thorn might come alive this tournament and make some noise seeing it's his last and it's in front of a hometown crowd.  I have to admit that's wishful thinking seeing how painfully harsh the move up to 149 lbs has been on him this season. I see the NCAA allotting eight spots, and I think the eight I suggested will be the eight to go.

157 lbs







*NOTE* - Forgot to include previous placements in picture, included down below.

1. Nolf (16'2nd 17'1st 18'5th/6th)
2. Berger (16'7th 17'3rd 18'4th)
3. Deakin (18'6th)
4. Pantaleo  (15'4th, 16'3rd, 17'1st)
5. Hayes (18'3rd)
6. Barone
7. Young
8. Bleise (MAC 16'3rd 17'4th  BIG 10 18'7th)
9. Parriott

10. Van Brill
11. Danishek
12. Tucker 

This weight class is what collegiate wrestling is all about.  Twelve of the best 157 lbs'er in the nation and none of them have been afraid to wrestle one another this season.  This in my opinion is the most fun weight class. I see the BIG 10 allotting 9 and (not that it ever does, but hypothetically speaking) if all goes according to plan there's no reason at all that 10, 11 and 12 shouldn't be given at large selections. 

Nolf at last on paper has this one in the bag, but as to who takes second, that may be up for grabs.  Berger, especially when it matters always seems to find a way to win.  Yet I can't count out Deakin, who proved with titles at both this year's CKLV and Midlands that he knows how to get the job done. Then there's Pantaleo who won a title in 2017. Incredibly loaded weight class.

165 lbs 


1. Marinelli
2. Joseph
3. Wick
4. White
5. Massa
6. Gunther
7. Campbell
8. Martin 


I got some of you throwing a fit about seeding Marinelli over Joseph. I know I do, but I am 100% behind my case.  BIG 10 seedings are meant to be a reflection of this season's results and based on this season's results how could you not put Marinelli ahead of Joseph? Based on criteria and fairness, wrestling ought to be rewarded. He beat Wick twice, and to me that justifies in giving him the #1 seed.

With that said, what happens on the mat is a whole other story.  I certainly not count Wick out from the title hunt. It's hard to beat someone three times in a row, especially someone as good as Wick.  I'm not even counting Massa out from the title hunt, nor am I counting out White.  Massa has beaten Marinelli before and as illustrated in posted results, recently took Joseph into overtime.

My thinking here is absolutely Hollywood but can you imagine Vincenzo Joseph winning four NCAA titles but never winning a BIG 10 title? 

The eight I have listed I believe will be given allotments and the eight I think will go.   I try so damn hard not to overlook anyone when I do these previews, but I always miss someone. Sorry Hoosier fans! I didn't mean to originally leave off Bryce Martin. Wasn't on purpose.

174 lbs 


1. Hall
2. Amine
3. Lydy
4. Labriola
5. Smith
6. Christensen
7. Skatzka
8. Hughes 

9. Grello
10. Sebastian
11. Bowman


On paper looks to be another individual title for the Nittany Lions. As it looks today Amine is on a fast track to becoming another Dan Marino in the wrestling world.  One of the best wrestlers at his weight, one of the all time best and certainly the class of 2020's best to never win a BIG 10 or NCAA title. I hope to eat crow on that statement and realize how premature my words were when I typed them.  He's right on the fence and he needs to do something to get over that hump.  BIG 10's would be an opportune time to come in, get that win over Hall and secure himself a legitimate title threat.

As to the weight class in general I see the NCAA allotting eight spots and eleven guys fighting over them.  Lastly I want to say that I think Christensen is one of the most overlooked and underappreciated wrestlers in NCAA wrestling and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see him out wrestle his seed.

184 lbs

1. Martin
2. Rasheed
3. Venz
4. Parker
5. Wilcke
6. Gravina
7. Reinhardt
8. Lyon
9. Embree
10. Caffey


In regards to the seeding I have to say this: Seeding 3-5 was a headache.  With the parity among Venz, Parker and Wilcke I wasn't happy with myself regardless of how I seeded them. I tried every combination and no matter what order I put them in I wasn't satisfied. I had to have a tiebreaker and I  used current rankings. So that's how I seeded 3-5.   With that out of the way....

After being a nose hair away so many times, I think Martin finally gets his BIG 10 crown. The only thing standing in his way is Rasheed. While I think Martin will be the aggressor, I can see Rasheed catching him off guard and his cradle offense becoming effective. It's the only offense I see working for Rasheed against Martin.  Also want to say real quick that I am anxious to watch Caffey.  His liberal approach to wrestling may be his best asset against a bunch of guys who will wrestle conservatively. He has a no fear, go after it approach to wrestling and I can see him upsetting his way to as high as sixth.

197 lbs

1. Nickal
2. Moore
3. Warner
4. Schultz
5. Brunner
6. Striggow 

I think the BIG 10's is going to be a cake walk for Nickal.  I feel sorta guilty for saying that because Moore is a two time BIG 10 champion himself, but after watching Nickal manhandle him and stick him in a little over a minute and a half, I can't help but think this will be nothing more than a little extra conditioning before nationals.  Nickal is that good.

As to the weight, I see the NCAA allotting six spots here.  I can see Beau Breske, Zack Chakonis, Matt Correnti and Andre Lee possibly stealing spots. I don't give it a high probability but I give it enough of one to say it can happen. Nothing would make me happier than to see Lee have a good tournament.  It's his last shot.  He's been "right there" as they say a couple of different times this year. He's came so close to having a big win.  Even if it doesn't mean qualification, a big win and maybe even getting onto the award stand in seventh or eighth place would be awesome to see.

HWT 


1. Steveson
2. Cassar
3. Jennings
4. Parris
5. Hillger
6. Singletary
7. Jensen
8. Stoll
9. Hemida 

Honestly if for some reason Cassar were to get sick or injured and had to be replaced by Nick Nevills, I still think Penn State would have a finalist. Just goes to show how tough the PSU lineup is and loaded they are at some weights. 

As to other thoughts, can anyone challenge Steveson?  From where I sit I can see him maybe having a close match, but that's about it.  Until proven otherwise, he's the "big thing" right now.

I sure would like to know why it seems everyone and their dog seems to ignore the fact that Jennings has two wins over Parris. Maybe if he gets a third win over him, he'll start to get some credit. 

I see nine allotments here and these are the nine guys I think will get them.


IOWA
I feel pretty confident that Iowa can get nine to the NCAA tournament.  The only wrestler I question at this point is Mitch Bowman at 174 lbs. I did worry a bit about Sam Stoll, but his 1-0 win over Hemida gives me reason to believe that he'll at least wrestle well enough for qualification.

MINNESOTA

I see host Minnesota sending seven wrestlers to the NCAA tournament.  
NEBRASKA 

I see the cornhuskers sending eight to nationals this year.

OHIO STATE 
I find it ironic that the two best teams in NCAA wrestling today don't have a good 125 lbs'er.  With that said, tOSU sends nine to the NCAA's.

WISCONSIN 
I think the Badgers will send six to the NCAA's this year.

MARYLAND 
Tough year for Maryland this season.  I only see two Terrapins going to the NCAA tournament.

RUTGERS 
Probably catch some Hell for this but I only feel strong about Suriano and Ashnault at this point.  Huge fan of Gravina but I'm not even 100% that he'll back back for the BIG 10's.  If he is back, how will injuries effect him? Talent wise, the guy is great. Not so sure health wise. Lipari, Van Brill and Grello are all qualification material, but I think all three will have to steal spots or hope for an at large selection.   So I can see as many as six Scarlet Knights going to the big dance, but right now only feel strong about two.

MICHIGAN STATE 

I can see the Spartans sending as many as four to this year's NCAA tournament. Three for sure, maybe four.

MICHIGAN 
The Wolverines are the only BIG 10 team I feel 100% confident will send their entire squad to the NCAA's.  Like I said, Iowa might too but almost positive Michigan will.

PENN STATE 
Like Ohio State, everyone but 125 lbs.  Sending nine.

ILLINOIS 
I see the Fighting Illini sending six wrestlers to this year's NCAA tournament.

NORTHWESTERN 
A lot depends on what they do with their lineup and who they put where.  I see as few as three and as many as five.

PURDUE 
I think for sure the Boilermakers send three and I can see them sending as many as five to the NCAA's.

INDIANA 
Only confident for sure in the Hoosiers sending two, but I can see them sending three.


And their you have it!  Who I think will go, how I'd seed them and a few other thoughts concerning the BIG 10.

See you in Minneapolis! Sitting in the nosebleeds!  Look for me in either a Michigan, Iowa, Purdue, Ohio State,  or Minnesota t-shirt.  I might have others, but going through my clothes that's what I've found so far.  Was hoping I had all fourteen BIG 10 teams, but I can't seem to find some and I don't think I ever picked up a Rutgers t-shirt. Need to do that!

No comments:

Post a Comment