Sunday, February 24, 2019

2019 EIWA - My Thoughts

Image result for EIWA wrestling



The EIWA places the top eight at each weight class out of sixteen teams and I tell you what, in some weight classes you are a freaking stud if you can manage to take eighth place. While the EIWA doesn't get the recognition or attention that the BIG 10 does, it is in many ways an extremely tough conference. I'd argue in some ways the second toughest conference in all of NCAA DI wrestling.  As you'll be able to easily tell throughout this preview, it most certainly has the most amount of parity.


125 lbs

Very young group of guys here at 125 lbs in the EIWA.  Three freshman and one sophomore that I see being the qualifiers out of the weight class.  With a 4:31 fall over Glory, the #1 seed will go to Arujau although I see the finals match being much closer. Chailfoux with a 12-5 decision over Ryder should take the #3 seed.


133 lbs

I only see the EIWA allotting two at this weight class.  I'm very confident that those spots are meant for Cornell's Chaz Tucker and American's Josh Terao.  I'm also confident that with a better record and more consistent showing that Tucker will get the nod for the #1 seed over Terao.   The reason I'm including three other wrestlers in my preview is because of Terao's unpredictability and inconsistency.  He like Tucker is a former EIWA finalist and when on, Terao can beat just about any body. Guy has some of the best and may I add unique defenses I've ever seen in amateur wrestling.  Yet, when off he's susceptible to loss and any of the three I included above will take full advantage of any mistakes that he might make on the mat.

141 lbs

I think we can all agree that Diakomihalis gets the #1 seed here at 141 lbs in the EIWA. I think most if not all would agree that Navy's Nic Gil has more than earned the #2 seed.  It's really a shame in an instance like this that the NCAA only allows 33 wrestlers per weight class into the championships because I have a feeling that some of these guys I have listed will be staying home.  It's a shame.  Gould has a major decision over Wisconsin's Tristan Moran 9-1 and Wil Gil of F & M beat Gould 6-4. Then there is also American's Jack Mutchnik who can be tough when need be and Army's Corey Shie capable of an upset himself. It'll be interesting to see how the EIWA seeds third through sixth.

149 lbs 



Everyone and their dog wants to point out the recent upset Matt Kolodzik took against Drexel's Parker Kropman but let me assure you of two things.  A, Matt Kolodzik will still be the #1 seed at the EIWA's and B, Parker Kropman will still go into the EIWA tournament without an allotment. With that said, the idea of him stealing one is certainly feasible.  The win over Kolodzik, an overtime loss to Artalona and a two point loss to Sprague illustrate that he is capable of earning a trip to the NCAA's. 

#2 seed here should be Navy's Jared Prince although I'm not sold he defeats Artalona in what should be an exciting semi-final. If he does win, I can see him upsetting Kolodzik in the finals though.  I can see the EIWA taking as many as five from this weight class.  I do not think Binghamton's Frankie Garcia will be one of them with the disappointing season that he has had thus far this year.  Yet I remind myself that he already owns a silver medal from last year's championships and could surprise us all again.


157 lbs


To say that this weight class gave me a headache would be an understatement. To say that it gave me a migraine still wouldn't be an accurate description. To tell the truth, I think it may have given me a tumor.  The parity of this weight class is insane!  I believe that the EIWA could allot as many as six or seven and I included records verses one another in the picture above. 

I think even with the recent loss to Reed, the #1 seed still ought to go to Hartman. As to #2 through #7, your guess is as good as mine.  Not 100% positive that Santoro will be the starter for Cornell. I debated between he and Fredy Stroker who I believe would be seeded about the same regardless.

This is without a doubt the toughest weight class in the EIWA.  You take a top eight medal here, you did something in your career worth bragging about.

165 lbs 


Brown's Jonathan Viruet has no question earned the #1 seed here at 165 lbs, but winning the championship will be no easy task.  Ebed Jarrell as shown what he is capable of this season and then there is always the dangerously quiet Gordon Wolf of Lehigh who often lingers in silence only to make big noise when it counts.  Not sure how many allotments will be given here, but look for Skidgel, Kosoy and McCormick to battle fiercely for them.

174 lbs 


I feel pretty confident that the NCAA will allot four spots here at 174 lbs out of the EIWA and I feel strongly that Kutler, Womack, Harvey and Carey will be the four that get them. With that said, it would not surprise me at all if Vincent DePrez were to steal one of them.

I in particularly look forward to what I believe will be the finals match.  2017 EIWA champion Brandon Womack of Cornell Vs 2018 EIWA champion Jordan Kutler of Lehigh.  I think it will be a very good match.

184 lbs 


I believe their will be five allotments for the EIWA at 184 lbs and I believe the five I listed are the five that will qualify for the NCAA's.  Ryan Preisch ought to be the #1 seed and may I say that if he wins his second EIWA title, I hope to see him get wrestler of the tournament.  He's placed third, second, champion thus far in his illustrious career. I think there is something to be said for not only placing four times in the EIWA, but placing that high every year.  As to the #2 seed, I'd give it to DePrez. I realize that Dean is ranked higher, but DePrez won their head to head meeting 5-3 s.v.


197 lbs 


Indisputably Patrick Brucki has earned the #1 seed and has separated himself from the rest of the field at 197 lbs.  It dumbfounds me to think that if it weren't for Ben Darmstadt being injured that Ben Honis of Cornell would be spending his final season as a backup.  Now, I honestly see him as the #2 seed with a great shot at making the EIWA finals. Just goes to show how incredibly tough NCAA wrestling can be and if I may get on my high horse for a second, why it is a travesty for these young men that they only have less than 80 teams to compete on. 

As to seeding third through seventh? The parity here isn't as bad as it is at 157 lbs, but it is still a nightmare.  Caywood beat Loiseau and Roetman, but lost to  Phipps.  Roetman has owned Phipps in two matches 5-0 and 6-0.  For the record Roetman is 1-1 against Honis, losing a tight 7-6 decision and then turning around and pinning him at the buzzer in the third period.   So I'm lost on exactly how to seed these guys.

What I think is that all seven deserve an allotment to the NCAA's.  We'll see if that happens.

HWT 


Last year's HWT EIWA championships ended with Wood as champion, Goodhart as the runner-up and Sweany in third place. Honestly I can see this year's EIWA's ending the exact same way.  Antonio Pelusi (accidentally named Anthony) in the picture had himself a 26-10 record last season with a fifth place showing at the EIWA that lead to an NCAA qualification. Currently at 22-7, I see him having similar ending this season.


LEHIGH 
I see the Mountain Hawks sending everyone to the NCAA tournament with exception to 125 lbs.  Not sure if they'll have the bonus points to win the team title but as far as man power, they have the numbers.

CORNELL
I'm fairly confident that the Big Red will be sending at least seven if not eight to the NCAA tournament.

PRINCETON 
I think the Tigers will only send four to the NCAA tournament but I see all four placing top three or better in their weight class. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see all four make the finals.

ARMY 

Perhaps I'm being too optimistic but I can honestly see the Black Knights sending as many as nine to the NCAA's. I think a more realistic number is six, but nine is doable.  I knew it would only be a matter of time before head coach Kevin Ward began to get things done at West Point, and by the looks of it that time is now.

HOFSTRA 
Not a good year for the Pride.  I think they will for sure send Ryder but I think that will be it.

AMERICAN 
I see a trio of seniors traveling to their last NCAA tournament together.

NAVY
Five as many as six qualifiers for the Navy

FRANKLIN & MARSHALL
FRANKLIN & MARSHALL 
The least covered, most often ignored team in all of NCAA DI wrestling or at least one of them and I think they'll qualify a wrestler, maybe two to the NCAA's.  Considering all of the obstacles they're up against, getting two wrestlers to the NCAA's (which they are very capable of) is a Hell of a statement for the program.

BUCKNELL 

We already knew we were in a rebuilding year with the Bison but it looks like they're already on to a great start.  Hartman looks poised to win his first of what could be four EIWA titles and Phipps and Gould look to join him in all three's first trip to the NCAA's. 
PENNSYLVANIA 
Down year for the Quakers but they will send Artalona at 149 lbs.

DREXEL 
Three, maybe four going to the NCAA's for the Dragons

BINGHAMTON
I think one or two is most realistic for the bearcats this tournament but man if Frankie Garcia can get hot out of nowhere, then make it three.

SACRED HEART 
I keep on hoping one of these years I can add at least one Pioneer to the list of who I think will qualify for the NCAA's out of the EIWA's.  I would if I could, but I just do not see it happening this season.

HARVARD
Not sure what is going on at Harvard. Not to long ago they were sending quite a few wrestlers to the NCAA's every year, fighting for EIWA individual championships and NCAA All Americans.  While I think they do send one wrestler to the NCAA's, I'd like to see the to the level of Jesse Jantzen's and J.P. O'Connor's.

BROWN 
I believe the bears will send two to the NCAA's this year.  Love to see Christian LaBrie surprise me and make it three, but his weight class is loaded!!!

COLUMBIA 
I see the lions sending two to the NCAA's this season.



No comments:

Post a Comment