Saturday, February 23, 2019

2019 EWL My thoughts

Image result for eastern wrestling league


You know it's always sad whenever anything comes to an end. The first EWL tournament was held in 1976 and the last one will be held in Fairfax, Virginia, hosted by George Mason on March 9th. Forty three years of the  Eastern Wrestling League and it comes to a finale in less than a month.  I think of the beloved and sorely missed Alan "Stovepipe" Brown and the dedication, love and passion that he had for collegiate wrestling, especially the EWL. I think of him in spirit as I write what will be my final words on the conference.


125 lbs 


I believe our #1 seed and sole qualifier at 125 lbs will be sophomore Luke Werner of Lock Haven.

133 lbs 


Fehlman and Cefolo have only met once this year, with Fehlman taking a 6-4 decision. Therefore the #1 seed has to go to Fehlman, but with that said, keep in mind that Cefolo defeated Fehlman twice last season.  As to who wins this tossup, I think it relies heavily upon where the match is wrestled. If Cefolo can keep it on their feet and stay out from underneath Fehlman I give him the advantage. If Fehlman can keep the action on the mat, I give him the advantage. There's something about those Lock Haven wrestlers. They all seem to be tough on top.

Fehlman qualified for the NCAA championships in 2017 as a freshman, but failed to qualify last season as a sophomore.  Cefolo has never been to the NCAA's.  Obviously both are hungry and it should make for an exciting EWL finals.

141 lbs 



If you want your wrestlers to learn some great techniques from the top position, I recommend having them watch who I believe will be our 141 lbs EWL champion and sole qualifier, Kyle Shoop of Lock Haven. I look for him to major and tech using a variation of tilts and turns his way through his final EWL tournament. 

149 lbs


After two fourth place finishes as a freshman and as a junior, senior Tejon Anthony of George Mason looks to capture the 149 lbs EWL championship. 

157 lbs 


I believe Alex Klucker of Lock Haven will become a two time EWL champion this tournament and be the sole qualifier at 157 lbs.

165 lbs 
 
This is without a doubt the toughest weight class in the EWL

. Returning All American Chance Marsteller with an 11-5 win over Dellavecchia will be the #1 seed.  As to who gets the #2 seed, I would imagine that the EWL will go with Dellavecchia over DiBlasi due to his higher ranking in the NCAA.  Regardless, all three have wrestled well enough this season to have earned allotments to the NCAA tournament. 

174 lbs


I only see one allotment at 174 lbs for the EWL and for that being intended for #1 seed Jacob Oliver of Edinboro. With that said, there is no reason to think that either Dean Sherry of Rider or Jared Siegrist of Lock Haven couldn't plausibly steal the spot from Oliver. Even though Oliver defeated Sherry 10-8 earlier this season, Sherry is the returning EWL champion.  His wild 18-16 match with Siegirst in early February has me thinking that this will be a fun weight class to watch. 

184 lbs 

I think there will be one allotment here at 184 lbs for the EWL and the fight for qualification will be between Lock Haven's Corey Hazel and Bloomsburg's Trevor Allard. Edging Allard 3-2 in their only meeting earlier this season, the #1 seed has to go to Hazel.  Seeing how short of wind the Bloomsburg wrestling has been as of late, it'd be refreshing to see Allard upset Hazel and breathe some life back into the Husky program.

197 lbs


I believe our champion and sole qualifier at 197 lbs will be Clarion's Greg Bulsak. 

HWT

The finals match at HWT between Lock Haven's Thomas Haines and George Mason's Matt Voss should prove to be an exciting one.  Voss won a 5-2 decision back in November, but was 0-2 verses Haines (including once being tech'd) up until that point.  Haines thus far has finished twice runner-up in the conference.  Both regardless of who wins, should be allotments into the NCAA's.

It amazes me how not too long ago I could have easily have predicted as many as six plausible conference champions for Edinboro, and today I'm not even sold that they'll have at least one qualifier.  Sean Russell to Minnesota, Pat Lugo to Iowa, Korbin Myers to Virginia Tech, Dakota Geer to Oklahoma State, Andrew Shomers to Oklahoma State, and Billy Miller to Virginia Tech.  I think Iowa State may be close in itself, but as to transferring out, that has to be some sort of a record. Talking it over with Jason Bryant, while I'm sad that the EWL will be no more after this season, we both feel that the move to a new more prestigious conference will benefit the Fighting Scots. It hurts to see them in such condition and I'd love to see them to the heights they were not all that long ago in 2015.

While I just mentioned a pro of the EWL's disbandment, a major con is looking at Lock Haven.  I see six for sure and as many as eight bald eagles qualifying for the NCAA's this year.  As soon as Lock Haven comes into their own and shows to dominate and own the EWL, it ends before it even really begins. Oh well, hopefully on to newer and better things for the crimson and white.

George Mason should send three to the NCAA championships and I can see Rider sending as many as three too. If not, at least two for Rider.

Clarion is definitely sending one and Bloomsburg at least stands a chance of sending one as well.

I'd love to predict that Cleveland State would send at least one, but with Evan Cheek redshirting this season I can't do that.

My final thoughts are that I'll miss the EWL.  It's never fun to see something with such a rich history come to an end.


No comments:

Post a Comment