Saturday, April 11, 2020

Gone, Lost & Forgotten: Their Best = U.C. Santa Barbara


One of the mysteries among my studies, I believe the U.C. Santa Barbara wrestling program began in the 1971-1972 season and ended after the 1976-1977 season.  I don't know that to be a fact, but all information I've been able to find about the program has came from those years.

Interestingly enough, when Bobby Douglas took over the program in the 1972-1973 season, he became either the first Black head Division I wrestling coach or the second. Fletcher Carr also took over as the head coach of Kentucky around this time.  I believe Fletcher's official hiring happened slightly before Bobby's.  I even asked the two of them once, but you'll have to forgive me.  I'm not sure who was first and who was second, but they both made history by being the first two.

John Felley
167 lbs
Feeley was an NCAA qualifier for Gauchos in 1972.  He later coached wrestling at Dos Pueblos high school.

Jim Majxner
167 lbs
Coming all the way from Osseo High school in Minnesota where he took runner up honors at the 1970 state championships, Majxner qualified for the NCAA championships in 1973.

167 lbs
Jay Lawson
Yet another 167 lbs'er, Lawson qualified for the NCAA Championships in 1974. He later went on to take over the De Anza wrestling program.  A CCCAA program that we have since lost.

126 lbs
Harold Wiley
The best wrestler to ever come out of the Gaucho program,  Wiley made the NCAA finals in 1976.  He later coached at Eisenhower High School.

2 comments:

  1. My Dad, Ed Swartz, was the guy who hired Coach Douglas. He then took over the program and Harold Wiley was one of his guys who I believe lost the National Championship. They were ranked I believe #18 in the Nation in D1 Wrestling that year. My Dad just passed away August 15, 2021 at age of 87.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your Dad's passing Steve. I appreciate the added information.

    ReplyDelete