Saturday, June 1, 2019

Gone, Lost and Forgotten: Current NCAA DI Conferences, had teams never dropped.

I'll admit, there is a lot of assumption on my part in compiling this information together.   There is also quite a bit of guessing as well.   Keep in mind this is ONLY with current conferences.  As to conferences that one time had wrestling such as the SEC and BIG SKY, I left those out.

Syracuse when they had wrestling was always a part of the EIWA, but I can only imagine/assume that if they still had a wrestling program, that it along with nearly all of their other sports would be a part of the ACC.   The ACC sponsors wrestling so it only makes sense that Syracuse would today be part of the ACC.  Yet the ACC also sponsors baseball, and for some odd reason Syracuse remains independent.  So go figure.  Maybe they still would compete in the EIWA.

I'm also racking my brain trying to remember who all qualified through the Western Regional over the years, which is now a part of the BIG 12.  You think being from Iowa and currently living in Des Moines that I'd know where Drake qualified through during their thirty plus year history.  I think it was through something that eventually became the West Regional, but I didn't pay as much attention back in the early 90's as I do today.  I was only seven, and for the most part a strict Iowa Hawkeye fan at the time of their departure.

As to the other conferences and teams....


Every team listed in the Southern Conference when they had wrestling competed in the Southern Conference.  Same with the PAC-12 (Which was PAC about every other number between 8 and 11 at one time).

Now along with Syracuse, I put Notre Dame in with the ACC.  Now, I could be wrong in that assumption.  Ice hockey is a part of the BIG 10, so maybe if they still had wrestling, it too would be in the BIG 10?  Or maybe even the BIG 12?  If I recall right, before Dick the Dick Rosenthal eliminated the wrestling program after the 1991-1992 season, I'm thinking they qualified in the same tournament as did Drake.  Nevertheless, with the ACC sponsoring wrestling, and Notre Dame being ACC for just about everything else with exception to their precious football program, I'd think Fighting Irish wrestling to be in the ACC.

If you think I'm wrong here and you want to suggest some plausible changes, please let know. I'm all ears.  Curiosity got the best of me the other day, and I was really anxious to see what today's current Division I wrestling conferences would look like, had these teams never dropped wrestling.

Someone asked me earlier why I didn't include Baylor in the BIG XII.  I thought it was obvious, but I'll state it anyway.  This list only includes schools within the conferences mentioned that had wrestling at one point. Baylor never had wrestling.  Believe it or not, all of the other teams did.

I'm also aware as it has been pointed out to me several times, that had none of these schools ever dropped, the consolidations never would have taken place.  I realize that.  Eastern Regional, Western Regional, Eastern Wrestling League and the Colonial Athletic Association wouldn't have been merged with other conferences.  That, I am well aware, but bear with me and use the current seven conference format we currently have today.


Here's what I could come up with....


SOUTHERN CONFERENCE

Tennessee-Chattanooga
Davidson
Campbell
Appalachian State
Gardner Webb
VMI
Presbyterian
The Citadel
East Carolina
William and Mary
Washington & Lee
North Carolina Greensboro
Marshall
Wake Forrest
Furman

Current: 8 Teams
Would be: 15 Teams

PAC-12

Arkansas Little Rock
Oregon State
Cal Poly
Stanford
Arizona State
Cal State Bakersfield
Cal Baptist
Washington
Washington State
UCLA
UC Davis
Cal State Fullerton
California
Oregon
Portland State
Utah State
San Jose State
Boise State

Current: 7 Teams
Would be: 18 Teams

BIG 10

Iowa
Nebraska
Maryland
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Rutgers
Penn State
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern
Michigan
Michigan State
Ohio State


Current: 14 Teams
Would be: 14 Teams 

ACC

Pittsburgh
Duke
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest
 Clemson
Boston College
Notre Dame
Syracuse


Current: 6 Teams
Would be: 12 Teams 



BIG 12 (BIG 12 + WWC/WEST REGIONAL)

Iowa State
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
West Virginia
Air Force
North Dakota State
South Dakota State
Utah Valley
Northern Colorado
Wyoming
Northern Iowa
Texas
Texas Tech
Kansas
Kansas State
Eastern Illinois



Current: 11 Teams
Would be: 16 Teams


EIWA

Lehigh
Bucknell
Hofstra
Franklin & Marshall
Sacred Heart
Navy
Army
Binghamton
Cornell
Brown
Pennsylvania
Harvard
Drexel
American
Princeton
Columbia
Long Island
Yale
Temple
Dartmouth
Colgate
Boston
Liberty




Current: 16 Teams
Would be: 22 Teams

MAC (+ EWL)

Northern Illinois
Ohio
Missouri
Central Michigan
Buffalo
Kent State
Old Dominion
Rider
Edinboro
Lock Haven
Clarion
George Mason
Cleveland State
Bloomsburg
SIUE
Eastern Michigan
Miami (OH)
Western Michigan
Toledo
Bowling Green
Ball State
Akron
Southern Illinois Carbondale
Cincinnati
Marshall
Chicago State
Central Florida
Massachusetts

Current: 15 Teams
Would be: 28 Teams 




CURRENT TOTAL : 77
WOULD BE TOTAL: 125


CURRENT  ORDER

1. EIWA (16)
2.  MAC (15)
3. BIG 10 (14)
4. BIG 12 (11)
5. Southern Conference (8)
6. PAC 12 (7)
7. ACC (6)

WOULD BE  ORDER


1. MAC (28)
2. EIWA (22)
3. PAC 12 (18)
4. BIG 12 (16)
5. Southern Conference (15)

6. BIG 10 (14)
7. ACC (12)

2 comments:

  1. University of Colorado was in the Big 8 when they dropped wrestling in 1980(with Oklahoma St. Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa St, etc)finished 13th in the NCAA tourney that year. Now is in the PAC 12

    ReplyDelete