Sunday, February 14, 2021

2020-2021 The IVY LEAGUE What Would Have Been

 Let's address the elephant in the room shall we?  The 2021 EIWA tournament is going to look a lot different than what it has in recent years.  All of the Ivy League Schools decided not to wrestle this season and thus will not be participating in the conference championships. 

That bodes well for the remaining EIWA schools as what would have other wise been qualification allotments for these Ivy League Schools will now go to them instead. 

Harvard, Cornell, Columbia, Pennsylvania, Franklin & Marshall, Princeton and Brown.   Seven schools that will be missing from this year's EIWA's. 

How many Qualifiers do I think these schools would have produced? 

I'm probably being a bit optimistic if not overtly generous but my guess is 14. 


BROWN

I'm not sold that Brown would have qualified anyone for the 2021 championships, although I'll take into consideration Ricky Cabanillas.  He won a couple of notable matches last season and looked good in some of his losses to notable opponents. If the Bears were going to send someone to the NCAA's this year, I believe it would have been Cabanillas. 

PRINCETON 

I have a lot of high hopes for the Tigers and believe they'll be atop the EIWA challenging for conference titles year in and year out.  However I think that the 2020-2021 would have been a year of rebuilding for the black and orange.  I do think though that with a good tournament Marshall Keller would've gone to the NCAA's this season. 

FRANKLIN & MARSHALL 

Not only do I think that Wil Gil would've punched his ticket to the NCAA's this year, I honestly believe that he is good enough to where he could have won the EIWA's.  Hear me out before you dismiss that claim.  He beat #1 seed Sal Profaci TWICE last season.  He took 3rd placer Noah Baughman to the edge in an exciting 12-11 loss.  Yes, at times he doesn't look good, but when he's on he's on.  I do believe that if he can be more consistent he is an EIWA title contender. 

PENNSYLVANIA 

Anthony Artalona would've not only qualified this season, he too would've contended for the EIWA title. 


COLUMBIA 

Solid and consistent as usual, I say the Lions would have sent at least two on through to the NCAA's.  Laurence Kosoy and Matt Kazimir. 


CORNELL 

Most likely changes would have been made to the lineup and newcomers would've been better than I initially anticipated.  With that in mind, my thinking of five qualifiers for the Big Red is probably low.   Where I have the most confidence and assurance is in Vitali Arujau, Yanni Diakomihalis, Colton Yapoujian, Max Dean and Ben Darmstadt. 

HARVARD 

Here is where I might surprise some people.  The Crimson haven't had a good year in collegiate wrestling for a while.  It's been a struggle to get back to where the program once was.  I think had they wrestled this season, they would have had some highlights including qualifying four to the NCAA championships.  I think both the Jaffe brothers A.J. and Michael both would have qualified.  I'm positive that Philip Conigliaro and Yaraslau Slavilouski would have qualified.  



There you have it.    

Everyone that follows me and reads my writing knows good and well that after the conference tournaments are said and done that I will write up who I feel are the best wrestlers who didn't qualify for the 2021 NCAA tournament.  I am going to specifically focus on those that tried to qualify, those that wrestled and missed out on qualification.  I realize that these Ivy League wrestlers will be brought into the conversation and that's why I bring them up here. 



No comments:

Post a Comment