Monday, March 2, 2020

BIG XII 2020 Preview = 157 lbs


Cyclone freshman sensation David Carr obviously takes the honor of the #1 seed although I don't know if the match is as signed, sealed and delivered as some treat it.  If Oklahoma's Justin Thomas can avenge a loss to North Dakota State's Jared Franek in what should be a classic semi-final, I think he can give Carr another good match.

Oklahoma State's Wyatt Sheets is one that I'm often not sure what to make of.   When on he's capable of big things such as defeating Thomas 8-3.  When off, he loses matches you wouldn't think he would.  I can see him sneaking in to the finals and I can see him failing to place in the top five needed for qualification & having to rely on an at large bid.

Last season I named Fresno State's Jacob Wright as one of the best wrestlers to not qualify for the NCAA championships. I think unless he upsets someone at the BIG XII's he'll make the list again this year.

Lastly I don't know if I'd call him one of the best to never qualify for the NCAA tournament, but despite having never made the trip, Wyoming's Dewey Krueger has had a fairly solid career.  I don't see him upsetting his way to a fifth place finish or higher, although he most certainly should place in the top eight.  He'll most likely end his career just shy of 100 wins & as this year's RENO tournament of champions champion.  A reminder that even if accomplishments weren't at the NCAA tournament, one can still look back at successes in their career.


How I would seed?

#1 David Carr freshman Iowa State
#2 Jared Franek freshman North Dakota State
#3 Justin Thomas junior Oklahoma
#4 Keaton Geerts freshman Northern Iowa
#5 Wyatt Sheets junior Oklahoma State
#6 Jacob Wright sophomore Fresno State
#7 Dewey Krueger senior Wyoming
#8 Nathan Moore freshman Northern Colorado





No comments:

Post a Comment