Tuesday, March 5, 2019

2019 - MAC My Thoughts


Last but certainly not least is my review for the upcoming MAC tournament.  Much like I did for the PAC-12 I will include the allocations and who I believe could be  plausible steals.  I will also include other wrestlers who I don't think will qualify but deserve mention regardless.

To explain why my seeding may look different than the actual seeding that takes place at the tournament, I'll say this.  I personally believe and stand by my belief that seeding for a conference tournament should be based on in conference rankings and head to head results within the conference. I do not believe that national rankings should trump either of those criteria.  For example if in the NCAA rankings you are ranked #17 and a guy in your conference is ranked #15.  If you have two wins against him, even though he has a higher NCAA ranking than you, I'd still seed you higher because of the two wins you have against him.  I've noticed in looking at pre-seeds for both the BIG 10 and the BIG XII that NCAA ranking trumps those two wins. I don't agree with it.  So there is your explanation. 


125 lbs



1. McGee
2. Laney
3. Hildebrandt
4. Akins

5. Punke 

The NCAA has allotted four spots at 125 lbs for the MAC and seeing that McGee and Laney are currently 1-1, I believe McGee will get the #1 seed being ranked #14 Vs being non-ranked for Laney. 
Despite only having a 9-8 record I would keep a close eye on Punke from Missouri.  He took both Laney and Hildebrandt into sudden victory this season and is more than capable of pulling off an upset.

133 lbs


1. Erneste
2. Guillen
3. Spann
4. Rooney

Led by NCAA champion contender John Erneste of Missouri, 133 lbs in the MAC has been allotted three spots by the NCAA.  Even though Kent State's Tim Rooney has some rather ugly losses on his record, I could plausibly see him stealing the spot from Spann.

141 lbs


1. Eierman
2. Kelly
3. Lantry
4. Perry 

Once again led by a NCAA champion contender from Missouri, 141 lbs in the MAC has been allotted four spots.  These are the four that it will likely be.

149 lbs 


1. Mauller 
You're looking at the MAC champ and sole qualifier at 149 lbs.

157 lbs 



1. Jacques
2. Early
3. Carson
4. Ruffin
5. Parks

6. Smythe 

This is exactly what I was referring to. Larry Early is currently ranked #9 in the nation, while Jarrett Jacques is ranked #16 and Logan Parks is ranked #17.  Therefore I know good and well that Early will end up getting the #1 seed at the MAC.  Why do I disagree with that?  Because Jacques is undefeated in the MAC, and Early lost to Logan Parks.  What complicates the whole thing is that Parks lost to Ruffin and Ruffin lost to Carson, but Early beat Carson.  So it's a mess, but I still think in the end Jacques deserves the #1 seed, that he most likely won't get.

Now that we're done talking about that tornado of a subject, there is also Alex Smythe of Buffalo to consider. I am happy that there are five spots here, for five guys who I feel have earned one but Smythe could come in and spoil it for everyone.  He has some notable wins this season, and in his losses he's kept it very close with Ruffin, Carson and Parks.

165 lbs 


1. Flynn

The sole qualifier and MAC champion at 165 lbs will be Connor Flynn of Missouri. 


174 lbs 














1. Lewis
2. Wilson

3. Wright 

And yet another Tiger of Missouri with a legitimate shot at an NCAA title leads the way at 174 lbs for the MAC.  Only allotted two spots by the NCAA, I think that really sucks for Seldon Wright of Old Dominion.  There's no way that Wright is stealing a spot from Lewis or from Wilson.  That's pretty much out of the question.  I suppose there is a slight chance that if all goes right at 174 lbs that he could get an at large wildcard qualification, but I'd say at this point that is unlikely as well.  Wright is a two time NCAA qualifier and this year he has wins over North Carolina State's Daniel Bullard and Michigan State's Drew Hughes. I hate to say it, but he'll most likely end up on my "Best not to qualify in 2019" list.



184 lbs 



1. Wisman
2. McNally

3. Atienza 

Only two allocations here for MAC at 184 lbs, one of which will go to Wisman of Missouri.  The other will be fought over in what should be a highly anticipated semi-final.  The last time McNally and Atienza met, McNally escaped with a 9-8 victory.  Look for another high scoring match to take place between the two.

197 lbs


Would you believe me if I told you of yet another Tiger likely to win a MAC title?  Well, here you go.


HWT 



1. Stencel
2. Elam
3. Gunning
4. McKiernan

5. Parker 
Led by my prediction for the 2019 Gorriaran award winner Matt Stencel, HWT in the MAC has been allotted four spots.  Zack Parker of Ohio, who has been known in the past to occasionally wrestle well, could plausibly steal a spot.

OLD DOMINION 
Jason Bryant's Alma Mater looks to send three wrestlers to the NCAA tournament.

CENTRAL MICHIGAN 
Coach Tom Borrelli ought to send at least three, if not four to the NCAA touranment.

OHIO 
Four, with a slight possibility of five NCAA qualifiers for Coach Greenlee

MISSOURI 
Keep this in mind as you read the words I'm about to write.  25 years ago the University was in serious consideration of dropping the wrestling program because of a lack of success. A lack of success in which they believed at the time could not be built upon or improved.  Today we're looking at, at least nine qualifiers with a decent possibility of sending all ten.  Eight of those ten, with a high probability of winning individual MAC titles.  The Tigers all but own the MAC.

BUFFALO 
Four, possibly five to the NCAA tournament for the Bulls.

SOUTHERN ILLINOIS EDWARDSVILLE
Head coach Jeremy Spates continues to build his program in a rather competitive conference and should send two wrestlers to the NCAA championships this season.

NORTHERN ILLINOIS
It's been a long and slow process but their are some good things happening in Dekalb, Illinois.  This year it looks to only be one NCAA qualifier, but you gotta start somewhere.

KENT STATE
It's riding the fence right now for the Golden Flashes.  They have a possibility of not having an NCAA qualifier this season, but they could also send as many as two.  Hopefully the latter.




1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete