Monday, December 20, 2021

Wilkes Invitational Preview (12-22-2021)

 


Normally an open, the 88th tournament at Wilkes will be an invitational this season due to COVID-19 restrictions.  A fun little before Christmas tournament, there will be some good wrestling here. 



125 lbs 

Looking forward to the battle of two freshmen that are thus far having pretty good starts to their collegiate careers.  Ryan Kelly of Delaware Valley who is currently 17-3 on the season and Joel Lamparelli of Muhlenberg who is currently 13-3 on the season.  I could plausibly see this as our final, although I think Terry Adams of Ursinus who put together a 28-12 record in 2020 & currently has an 8-1 record will also fight for a title. 

133

The waters have been a little rougher for Cockrell since moving up to 133 from 125, but I still think this Shark will rule the seas of the Wilkes Open when it is all said and done.  I can possibly see freshman Dylan Le of Ohio Northern giving him a match in a predicted final, but that'd be about it.  

141 


This is a predicted finals that I am looking forward to.  Russell Benson of Delaware Valley a NCAA DIII qualifier in 2019 with a current record of 14-2 against Ohio Northern freshman Jacob Reed who currently owns a 17-1 record on the season.  Both of these guys could be NCAA DIII qualifiers this season. 

149 

Feel the same way about Drew Witham that I do about teammate Cockrell.  Been a bit tougher since moving from 141 to 149, but in the least I think he makes the finals here.  Anxious to see him against 2019 NCAA DIII qualifier Chase Sumner of Ohio Northern, who has a career record of 40-6.  Normally in most situations go with the DI guy over a DIII guy, but these circumstances are a little different.  LIU is still adjusting into a DI school, and Witham is a pretty tough wrestler.  While I don't see Wilkes' Kyle Tino upending either Witham or Sumner, I can see him having a pretty good tournament. 

157 

Another youth Vs experience matchup I'm looking forward to. In wrestling we don't get to see a whole lot of top talent from New Hampshire, but a two time state champion, Anson Dewar of Muhlenberg is having himself a great rookie campaign going 14-3 thus far on the season.  Schuyler Caprella of Ohio Northern was 38-10 in the 2020 season, going 4-2 at the Central Regional just barely missing out on NCAA DIII qualification.  This should be a good match. 

165 

I think this one will be an individual title for the Sharks.  I can possibly see Ohio Northern's Jordan Hardrick giving Bahna a match, but I feel pretty confident in predicting Bahna to win a title here. 

174 



I don't know if this will be our finals match or not.  174 seems pretty open to me, but this is a match I look forward to seeing if it happens. Their common opponent is Ben Doughtery of R.I.T. who Boulahri defeated in two close matches, 7-5 & 6-4. Kravits lost to him in a close one 6-5. Anxious to see how this match turns out. 

184 
Colton Babcock
Wilkes 

Since transferring from Shippensburg, Colton Babcock of Wilkes has been doing pretty well for the Colonels. Thus far this season he is 14-1 winning titles at the Ned McGinley Invitational, The Wildcat Invitational and the Elizabethtown Invitational. I think he'll add a fourth title to his resume on Wednesday.  Not bad for a kid that never placed at state. 

197 



Both Cash Thompson of Ohio Northern and Luca Colestock of Muhlenberg were NCAA DIII qualifiers in 2020.  This is the final I predict & I'll give a slight edge to Colestock, but think this could turn out to be the match of the tournament. 

HWT 
Dan Eckley 
Delaware Valley 


19-4 on the season thus far, Eckley recently won a title at the R.I.T. tournament.  I think he'll win one here too. 


=== 

Not the toughest tournament in the world, but like I said some good wrestlers to watch and some fun matches that will turn out.  


No comments:

Post a Comment