Monday, September 22, 2014

A quick look at the Individual Forerunners for 2015

125 lbs

The Forerunners -Jesse Delgado Illinois, Nico Megaludis Penn State and Nahshon Garrett Cornell 
Illini senior Delgado looks to end his illustrious career with a third NCAA title, but going head to head with him will be fellow senior Megaludis, who has thus finished 2nd-2nd-3rd  during his campaign as a Nittany Lion. The two have split back and forth, each having wins over the other. Not far behind either of them will be Garrett who after finishing 3rd-2nd thus far in his career, hopes to add what will be one of two NCAA titles to his resume. 

Darkhorses Joey Dance Virginia Tech, Alan Waters Missouri and Thomas Gilman Iowa 

It's hard to believe that as well as he wrestled last season, that Dance was only a year removed from high school. As a true freshman, he finished 4th in the nation. If he was that good as a true freshman, it's plausible to imagine he'll be even better this year as a sophomore. Perhaps he'll be good enough to contend with Delgado, Megaludis and Garrett. 

More of a question mark than Dance, will be Missouri's Alan Waters who will be finishing up his career this year for the Tigers after redshirting this past season. Waters could prove within due time to be NCAA champion material. 

Lastly, Hawkeye sophomore Gilman could pose a threat to the NCAA crown as well as he has proved his ability to defeat top competition in the past. 

MY PICK: Nico Megaludis Penn State - He's been in the kingdom, and he's worn everything but the crown. They say it's very difficult to do something three times in a row, and I think Delgado will have to settle for the silver or bronze medal this year, as Megaludis takes the gold. I think he's too technical and reactive for Garrett and I don't see Dance, Gilman or Waters giving him any trouble come do or die time either. 

133lbs

The Forerunners - A.J. Schopp Edinboro 

At the time being Schopp looks to add an individual NCAA crown as a part of the FightingScotts hopes for a top four NCAA team finish. He looks unstoppable and unbeatable onpaper at the time being, putting him a notch above the rest. 

Darkhorses - Cody Brewer Oklahoma, Mason Beckman Lehigh, Johnni DiJulius and Cory Clark Iowa 

Brewer has steadily improved each year during his time thus far as a sooner. The two time All American proved his ability more than once during his career to defeat opponents that he has previously lost to. He's a quick and dangerous wrestler who could give Schopp some fits this season. 

Beckman at the current time is ranked 2nd under Amateur Wrestling Newsmagazine's (AWN) current rankings, after finishing 6th in the nation last year. I don't see him holding that ranking throughout the season, as I believe he'll be vulnerable to lose a couple of matches here and there. However, I dare not count him out in his abilities to be an NCAA champion. 

DiJulius is perhaps the most unpredictable, thus dangerous wrestler at this weight class. When on, as he proved last season with wins over Northern Iowa's Joe Colon, he has the skills to beat anyone. Yet, when off, he also has the opportunity to be beaten by anyone. 

Clark most certainly showed promise of an NCAA title at 125 lbs and it'll only be a matter of time before the Hawkeye sophomore proves the same at 133. 

MY PICK: Johnni DiJulius Ohio State - As a rather big fan of Brewer's I'd love to see him atop the award stand this year, but I have a gut feeling that it'll be DiJulius who takes the Division I wrestling world by storm this season. After a disappointing BIG 10 andNCAA tournament last season, I see the Buckeye junior perhaps even going undefeated this season. At the current time he is ranked 7th by AWN. 

141

The Forerunners - Logan Stieber Ohio State

Stieber, need I say more? The Buckeye senior looks to become only the fourth four time NCAA champion in the history of NCAA Division I wrestling this season. The chances of anyone keeping him from this feat are slim to none. He's one of the all time greatest wrestlers that has ever graced the mat and most likely will walk off the mat crowned champion at the end of the year. 

Darkhorses Mitchel Port Edinboro and Zain Retherford Penn State 

If there is anyone that can do the impossible and knock Stieber off his throne it is Fighting Scott senior Port. Port will show Stieber no respect and go after him with a license to kill. As one of the most exciting and exhilarating wrestlers in Division I wrestling today, look for Port to be Stieber's biggest concern. 

Retherford has already proved his ability to defeat Stieber as he caught the Buckeye off guard during a duel meet and upset him. While I don't see Stieber allowing this to happen again, I won't count it out as a possibility. 

MY PICK: Logan Stieber Ohio State - I just don't see anyone keeping Stieber from winning four NCAA titles this season. If anyone is going to do it though, I hope that it is Port. I don't see that happening though. 

149 lbs 

The Forerunners - Jason Tsirtsis Northwestern, Josh Kindig Oklahoma State, Hunter Stieber Ohio State, David Habat Edinboro and Drake Houdashelt Missouri 

The 149 lbs weight class is one of the most competitive weight classes in NCAA Division I wrestling this upcoming season. Even though sophomore Tsirtsis returns as the champion, I don't count his chances of repeating any greater than the other four men listed alongside him. The parity at this weight class is unreal and those listed as the forerunners aren't the only ones capable of winning this year's championships at 149 lbs. 

Darkhorses - Chris Villalonga Cornell and Jake Sueflohn Nebraska 

It's rather ironic that two of the very best wrestlers in the nation, going into their senior year, who have yet to be crowned All Americans would be in the same weight class, but they are. Both Villalonga and Sueflohn has proven their ability to beat anyone and be NCAA champions. While even getting on the podium has eluded them thus far throughout their careers, I have no doubt that both will be on the podium this year and that the very top of it is a very realistic possibility for either. 

MY PICK: Jake Sueflohn Nebraska - Thinking back over the years, I am reminded of Ben Cherrington of Boise State every time I see Sueflohn. A wrestler who after finishing shy of All American status a couple of times during his career, ended it with an undefeated season and an NCAA title. I don't see Sueflohn going undefeated as 149 lbs is just too competitive of a weight class for that, but I do see him wrestling as he is capable and winning both a BIG 10 and NCAA crown at the end of the year. 


157 lbs

Forerunners - Dylan Ness Minnesota - James Green Nebraska - Ian Miller Kent State - Brian Realbuto Cornell 

Golden Gopher fans would like me to erase the other three names above, pointing out Ness's fall over Green at last year's NCAA championships and Husker fans would like me to erase the other three names, pointing out that Ness's fall over Green was a "fluke" and that Green defeated him 7-3 with three takedowns at the BIG 10's. Nevertheless I keep all four names above as forerunners for the simple fact that neither Ness nor Green has had much luck in the field of consistency. Both Miller and Realbuto stand legitimate chances of knocking off either or both. 

Darkhorses Nick Brascetta Virginia Tech, Dylan Alton Penn State and Max Schneider Cal Poly 

If you wanted true darkhorse predidtions you just got three of them. I'm interested to see how Brascetta does up a weight class as he returns off of a redshirt this season. Two years ago he finished in 8th place at 149 lbs and according to some of the Hokie faithful looks to be a serious contender this year at 157. 

Alton if 100% healthy, both physically and mentally, is one of the best wrestlers in the nation, I don't care what anyone says. If he is on, and wrestling to his potential, he'll beat Ness, he'll beat Green and he'll beat anyone else in his path as well. The key word here is healthy. I'd love to see the senior go out having ended his career on a high note. After finishing third as a freshman, including two wins over Green that season, I'd hate to see him have yet another disappointing season like the last two. 

You wont' get a bolder prediction out of me as far as potential NCAA champions go than Schneider. A rather non discussed and unknown wrestler thus far, I believe he will turns heads with a huge upset more than once this season. The Mustang sophomore wrestles a very in your face, aggressive style similar to that of Virginia's Jedd Moore who always gave Green trouble on the mat. Green needs space to execute his lightning fast takedowns and Schneider won't allow any of that space to accumulate if the two of them wrestle. I'm excited to see if Schneider ends up being as good as I think he will. 

MY PICK: I don't want to say right now. It's just too competitive of a weight class, with way too much parity for me to make my prediction at the time being. I will say though that I do not think it will be Green. No offense to the guy, I'd be more than happy to see him end his career as champion, but I don't think he'll win it. I think he suffers from the "must lose a match at the NCAA tournament" curse that Oklahoma's Sam Hazewinkle suffered from years ago. I'm not sure who will knock him off, but if I be a betting man, I'd bet someone will. 

165

The Forerunners- Alex Dieringer Oklahoma State 

After graduation, 165 lbs looks to be the weakest weight class out of the ten for 2015. Even though Dieringer is moving up for 157, I believe he'll prove to be far too strong, quick, technical and athletic for his opposition to pose him much, if any of a threat. 

Darkhorses Nick Sulzer Virginia - Mike Moreno Iowa State - Nick Moore Iowa - Cory Mock Chattanooga 

The battle amongst these gladiators will be for the silver medal more so than it will be for the gold, but nevertheless I will acknowledge their chances. Sulzer at the time being seems the most likely to knock off Dieringer after an impressive 4th place finish last season. Moreno has steadily and impressively improved on a tremendous level over the years and could prove to have improved to the level of national champion status. Moore has proven his ability to defeat top competition in the past, but also has a history of severely underperforming in big tournaments. Perhaps this will be the Hawkeye senior's year to finally put it all together. Mock, after having a solid season, which included a conference title, had a disappointing NCAA tournament. Much like Moore, the Moc senior has but one last chance to put it all together. 

MY PICK: Alex Dieringer Okahoma State - Unless the 8 lbs difference between 157 and 165 proves to be a world of difference in strength, I just don't see anyone giving him any trouble whatsoever. I hate it when weight classes are an open and shut case, but I strongly feel that be the case here. 

174 lbs

The Forerunners - Logan Storley Minnesota - Robert Kokesh Nebraska - Matt Brown Penn State - Mike Evans Iowa 

There is enough drama between the four of these guys that I could almost pitch a television series about it to NBC. All four of these guys are seniors and all four of these guys have seen one another multiple times throughout their careers. They're all equal in ability, not a single one of them has an advantage above the other. They'll finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th at the NCAA's respectively, but in what exact order, no one knows. 

Darkhorses - There aren't any. I'll eat my hat if anyone other than these four wrestlers is crowned the NCAA champion at 174 lbs this season. 

MY PICK: Mike Evans Iowa - Yeah, I'm going to be a homer. Go ahead and call me biased, I'm fine with that. Evans is one of my favorite guys, and I want to see him win an NCAA title. He'll have to wrestle better than he did in the consolation bracket at the NCAA's last year. Nevertheless, I see him doing just that. 

184 lbs

The Forerunners - Gabe Dean Cornell and Jack Dechow Old Dominion

After not only finishing 3rd in the nation but also doing the impossible and defeating the undefeatable Ed Ruth, you'd think that the Big Red sophomore would have easy pickings for the 2015 185 lbs crown, but right behind him is fellow sophomore Dechow of Old Dominion. I look forward to the fierce battles between these two this season. 

darkhorses - None. I believe that Dean is really a Gorilla in a human suit, he is so flipping strong. His offense is unstoppable and his defense is impermeable. Dechow is virtually the same. The only one defeating either of these guys, is each other. 

MY PICK: Gabe Dean Cornell - While I'd like to see Dean be given some competition, I think that he'll not only win the title this year, but win it the next three years in a row. Unless someone with immense talent and ability comes along, I don't see Dean ever tasting defeat during his collegiate career again. 

197 lbs

The Forerunners J'Den Cox Missouri - Scott Schiller Minnesota - Kyven Gadson Iowa State 

Cox seems to be the most favorable pick, as he returns looking to add another title to his already impressive resume this year as a sophomore. Looking to knock him off will be Golden Gopher Schiller and Cyclone Gadson, who both want to be atop the podium in their final seasons. All three stand good chance of doing just that. 

Darkhorses Taylor Meeks Oregon State 

After a very disappointing NCAA tournament last season, you wouldn't think Meeks capable of winning an NCAA title, but hear me now and hear me clear, if he wrestles anything like he did two years ago, he'll be the man to beat at 197 lbs. He's a precocious and precarious wrestler with the ability to pin. 

MY PICK: Taylor Meeks Oregon State - I have a lot of faith in the Beaver senior. I see him totally redeeming himself after a head scratching disappointing season last year and I think he'll not only defeat the competition, I think he'll annihilate it. I'm very excited to see him on the mat this year. 

HWT

The Forerunners - Nick Gwiazdowski North Carolina State, Mike McMullan Northwestern and Adam Coon Michigan 

Gwiazdowski is the returning NCAA champion, but I don't think his chances are any greater than that of McMullan's or Coons. Many may wonder why I put Coon's name on the list yet leave off Oklahoma State's Austin Marsden and Iowa's Bobby Telford. It's simple. Coon simply fell apart at the end of the year after having a phenomenal rookie season. It won't happen again. He was simply a new kid, in a new place and he let the atmosphere get to him. That's all it was. He'll contend for the NCAA title his last three years as a Wolverine, I guarantee it. Marsden was very lucky to even be an All American last year, as the referee literally stripped it from the hands of Boise State's J.T. Felix and handed to him on a silver platter. Marsden will most likely repeat at an All American this season, but it won't be anywhere near first. As for Telford, I like the guy and hope to see him do well, but he's proven an inability to put together a good string of matches. He can defeat anyone, but he won't defeat them all in three day stretch. I see him finishing somewhere between 4th and 6th. 

Darkhorses - Kyle Colling Arizona State

Who? Is that what you're saying? If you are, that's fine at the moment, but you won't be saying "Who?" about a month into the season. Colling is under the radar, but won't be for long. With such wins as that over Indiana's Adam Chalfant, look for the Sun Devil senior to prove his worth this year with many notable wins. 


MY PICK: Mike McMullan Northwestern - It's hard for me to believe that McMullan is coming into his final season as a Wildcat. After finishing 3rd-2nd-3rd, I think he'll make like I believe Megaludis will as well, and finish out his illustrious career as an NCAA champion.


Quick Recap
125 - Nico Megaludis
133 - Johnni DiJulius
141 - Logan Stieber
149 - Jake Sueflohn
157 - Currently Undecided
165 - Alex Dieringer 
174 - Mike Evans
184 - Gabe Dean
197 - Taylor Meeks
HWT - Mike McMullan


NOTE:  Since writing this I have heard that both Penn State’s Dylan Alton and Arizona State’s Kyle Colling will be out with injuries.  

No comments:

Post a Comment